Life must go on

The next day Arthur awoke in his bed, he barely remembered leaving that alleyway last night but obviously he had. The prince rolled over in his bed and saw a figure standing at the side of his bed, his heart started to beat faster in his chest. Maybe he had imagined the break up yesterday, maybe Merlin was standing next to his bed, and just maybe everything was fine. But as Arthur rubbed his eyes and his vision focused in properly he realised it wasn’t his Merlin but another man.

“Who are you?” Arthur asked grumpily, not even trying to hide his disappointment.

The stranger stood up straighter and replied with a smile, “I’m your new manservant sire.” Arthur felt like he had just been trampled by a horse, Merlin had actually left him and he had already been replaced. The prince sighed and fell back against the pillow.

“Do you have a name?” The prince rudely grunted.

“Well yes of course I do sire. It’s Kevin” The man-servant answered as he walked over to the table and picked up the tray with Arthur’s breakfast on it. “If you may sire, please sit up straight so I can place the tray on your lap” Kevin instructed sheepishly and although Arthur was unhappy with him he did it anyway. In the prince’s mind Kevin replaced Merlin so therefore he does not like Kevin. The man-servant placed the tray on Arthur’s legs, told the prince he would be back and left the room.

Arthur felt terrible, he felt like he had a massive hole in his heart and only Merlin could make him feel better but Merlin was gone. The prince missed the way Merlin would always leave a flower on his breakfast tray, how he would stick around and talk to him while he ate even though he had errands to do and he missed that stupid smile that would cover his entire face when he offered him some of his breakfast. Arthur missed everything about Merlin and it hadn’t even been 24 hours. The prince groaned, set the tray aside and got out of bed. Arthur had knight training at noon so he messily got dressed and decided to wander around the castle aimlessly until then because now there wasn’t much point in doing anything else. As the prince walked down the corridor he heard terrible, heavy footsteps behind him.

“We need to talk son” Uther ordered as he approached Arthur.

The young prince sighed and turned around unhappily, “Seriously not today father.”

 “We need to talk about your inappropriate attitude towards your man-servant, Merlin.” Uther spat the last word. How dare his father say such things when it was his fault that Merlin left. Arthur felt an angry rage boil within him and he was trying so hard not to slice his father through with his sword.

“Why don’t you mind your own business” The prince retorted before turning his back and walking away from his father.

The king quickly grabbed his son’s arm and swung him around, “I have a reputation to uphold in this kingdom and I will not have you and your man-servant ruining it.” When Arthur didn’t say anything Uther continued, “Merlin is an abomination and I want him out of my kingdom.” As the prince stared at his father he felt his eyes tear up but he quickly turned it to anger. He then let go of any self-control he had and grabbed his father by the shirt and shoved him up against the wall.

“You son of a bitch, Merlin is gone and he is never coming back… because of YOU. I was happy… truly happy and you destroyed that!” Arthur shouted into his father’s face. “You’ve done some pretty fucked up shit over the years but I have never, ever hated you.” The young prince roared and Uther got winded as his son pushed him harder against the wall. “But you’ve gone too far this time and I sincerely mean it when I say I.hate.you.” After a short moment of the two alpha males glaring at each other, Uther strongly pushed his son away from him and brushed himself off trying to retain some of his dignity.

“I am the king and your father, you will show me some respect” The king demanded sternly.

“No, you can’t tell me what to do anymore!” Arthur shouted back.

“I can because I’m your father and I’ve always have your best interest in mind.”

“MY BEST INTEREST?! You can not be serious.”

“Merlin is a parasite, he was destroying your life and I’m glad he has left you.” Uther hissed sourly. Arthur hated hearing the love of his life spoken about like that and it made his blood boil.

“Don’t you ever talk about my Merlin like that again and if you do I will strike you down where you stand” The prince growled, standing in his father’s personal space.

“Merlin is a monster, he-” Uther started to argue but that was it for Arthur. He pushed his father back against the wall which sent him falling to the cold ground. Uther stared miserably at his hands, he was too ashamed to even look up at his furious son. The young Pendragon opened his mouth to say something but he decided otherwise and stormed off angrily down the hall.