Another Fine Mess

Ryan always called for Darren, as his house was on the way to the bus stop, and as nothing had been said to change the arrangement, he stuck to the habit even though Sebastian had told him that his best friend had been petticoated. He had noted what Sebastian Montague had said about Darren needing his friends, and he was not going to desert Darren. It was really no big deal at Meadvale, of course. At their last school, Darren would have been ridiculed and bullied even more, and Ryan might have found it harder to hang out with him, for fear of being tarred with the same brush, but at Meadvale, everything would be fine. But he was still nervous as he opened the Baxter's front gate and approached their front door, because his best friend being petticoated would not escape his dear mother's attention, and he was worried that it might have some serious consequences for him.

"Good morning, Ryan, you are looking very smart today?" Mrs Baxter said, smiling as she answered the door.

"Hi, Mrs Baxter...thanks?" He grinned back, not sure about the compliment. He knew that the Meadvale uniform was smart, and he was the sort of boy who wore clothes well, in that he looked good in anything. That was not a boast, but he had noticed that some people, girls as well as boys, were naturally scruffy. Not deliberately, but if they ran up the stairs or something like that, their shirts would be untucked and their ties would be crooked in no time. Ryan was not like that at all, he could run miles for the bus and still look perfectly neat and tidy. But the Meadvale uniform was not just about making everyone look smart, or even neat and tidy. It was more about making every single pupil look like a nice young lady, a studious, rather old-fashioned picture of genteel obedience. "Is Darren coming to school today?"

"Yes...but we have made some changes over the weekend, Ryan...Darren is fully petticoated now, so I need you to look after him for me?" Mrs Baxter said, quite matter of factly, as if it was something one just did and not worthy of comment, standing to the side to allow her son to join her on the doorstep. "I have asked young Danielle to keep an eye on him when he gets to the bus stop, but I need you to get him there...is that all right with you, Ryan? I know you two are good friends?"

"Yes...of course...we always walk together anyway?"

"Yes, dear...but now I need you to be responsible for him...hold his hand and make sure that he behaves himself for me?" Mrs Baxter said, putting her arm around Darren's shoulders and kissing him on the cheek. "You will be good for Ryan, won't you, darling?"

"Yes, Mummy...I'll be a good little boy, I promise?" Darren murmured, reaching out for Ryan's hand, and Ryan found himself leading his friend back down the garden path and along the road, not daring to speak until he was sure that Mrs Baxter would not be able to hear.

"Do I really need to hold your hand, mate?" He finally said, feeling very self-conscious.

"Mummy says if you don't, we won't be able to walk together...she will get someone else to walk me?" Darren mumbled, his cheeks burning with shame. "So...please?"

"Okay...if you want me too?" Ryan gulped, hoping that no one would see them. They had not run into many people the previous week, because they had to leave quite early, but they had got a bit of stick about their uniforms from the few non-Meadvale kids they did see. He doubted being seen holding hands with Darren would go down very well. "How bad is it?"

"Mummy said fully-petticoated...so just like Sebastian and Callum?"

"Bloody hell...sorry, mate?" Ryan sighed, well aware that it was an inadequate response.

"I am...I have to...I am...I am diapered?" Darren stammered, because it seemed to be the easiest way to explain the extent of his transformation.

"Christ, really? I bet they had to beat you within an inch of your life to get you into a nappy mate...right?" Ryan asked, imagining what his own reaction would be if his parents tried to do that to him. It was one thing wearing his uniform as a punishment for being awkward, but that would be a step too far for him, he felt. He would never let it happen to him without putting up a real fight.