Friday Fun and Fracas

"Oh, where is she? She has been good since Monday after Mummy talked to her...but she is supposed to be here waiting for us?" Amelia moaned on the Friday, standing on tiptoe to look over the rows of pegs in the cloakrooms, trying to spot Phoebe. Olivia was walking up and down for the same reason, whilst Danielle stood surrounded by the boys, anxious to lead her little flock to the messing queue before the line got too long. She had everyone in their coats and hats because they had to go outside to get to the nurse.

"Look, why don't you lot go or you'll be queuing all lunchtime?" Olivia suggested, as only her and Callum were in school knickers. "Callum and I will find Phoebe and get her over to you, I promise?"

"That would be sensible?" Danielle agreed, holding hands with Daniel and Sebastian.

"You go then...but Phoebe is my sister and I promised Mummy that I would look after her properly, so I have to look for her?" Amelia insisted, hurrying outside to start searching the playground, followed by Olivia and Callum.

"I'd better go too...she is my sister as well?" Sebastian said, looking up at Danielle.

"Are you wet yet?" She asked, well aware that Sebastian often wet his diaper before he had to mess in the queue. He could last until morning break easily enough, but he could not last the whole morning.

"Only a bit?"

"And if you go running around in a wet nappy you will get a rash?" Danielle pointed out as she gave his hand a squeeze. "Come on, everyone...we need to get going?"

Bella Sinclair was in the playground, enjoying her first free lunchtime as a reward for her good behaviour in the special unit, over the last four days. It was a test, of course. She had been messed and changed first, and then reminded of what would happen if she did anything stupid, which she did not intend to do. She was not an idiot and she knew that she needed to earn more freedom before she could make another escape attempt. If they thought that she was tamed, they would not watch her so closely, and then she would get her chance. But she was not wasting her time. She wanted to look at possible exits, so that she would have an idea of how to get out when a chance presented itself, and therefore she was walking around the edge of the playground, looking at fences and gates, still intent on getting to her mum. It was a cold October day and she had her hands in the pockets of her stupid school coat, whilst the chinstrap of the stupid felt hat was annoying her, but she was sticking to the rules, playing their stupid game.

She did not know the main school or the grounds at all, of course. She had got into trouble before registration on her first day, and disappeared into the behavioural unit before the first lesson. And she did not really know any of the other pupils, other than the few she had met socially, before she started at Meadvale Mixed, and they all hated her. So, no one bothered her as she sauntered around, her quick eyes reconnoitring the possibilities, and that was why she spotted three girls, although she had to remind herself that they could be boys because some of them had long hair too, surrounding a fourth, much smaller figure right over the far side of the playgrounds, where no one else really was. One thing that Arabella really could not stand was bullying. She had watched her poor little brother get his fair share at boarding school, and got into trouble sorting that out, whilst some girls had tried to pick on her, mostly online, in the good old days when she had a phone. And she hated it. So, she headed over to the quiet corner, partially hidden by a sports equipment shed, to see what was going on. And she had seen enough by the time she got close enough to speak.

"I thought this dump had a zero tolerance of bullying behaviour?"

"What's it got to do with you, freak?" One of the girls, because they were girls, demanded as she walked past them and stood beside their victim, who was in tears, backed up against a wire fence.