Chapter XII: A New World

"So," Dad spat at me. "You've got a lot of explaining to do."

That look he gave me, I had never seen in him before. His eyes were blazing. He grabbed arm and began dragging me away from the classroom, led me downstairs and dragged to our car and made me sit on the front seat.

Outside, the sun was just beginning to rise. I hadn't seen the real sun in so long, I had forgotten what it meant. Of course, this wasn't the real sun, but...

I had never been in a car where my father drove so furiously. He messed up a few turns, but got it right and managed to reach- home. It all felt so nostalgic, seeing home after such a long time. I would have really pleased to see it, but Dad's fury kept me standing on end. Well, not literally, Apollo. You know full well what I mean.

Sorry, Apollo just makes weird gestures as to control what to say. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, he's still got no taste in anything except his genius.

Dad parked the car. He unlocked my door and pushed me out of my seat, none too gently. Dad grabbed my arm, once he came out, he grabbed his keys and pushed the door open with all his strength.

"Alex, dea-" Mum stopped talking, her eyes falling on me. I could tell she was as astonished to see me as I was to see her. Dad threw me to the floor. But I had seen her die in Ajax. How was this possible?

Yet there was no mistaking the figure. It had been so long since I had seen her. But I was still trembling. It was scary to see Dad like this.

"WHERE'S YOUR BROTHER?" said Dad. "DID HE GET OFF TOO? ANSWER ME, KID!"

"I- I don't know!" I said, trembling all over. "I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Dad walked over to the sofa and sank into it. Mum gave him a meaningful look. Then she turned to me.

"Why didn't you board the ship?" she said.

"I don't understand the question," I said. "Which ship?"

"The spaceship!" said Mum. "Don't play dumb! You know actual ships stopped working about a century ago!"

"I still do not know what you're talking about," I said, standing up.

"THAT COST US MONEY, BOY!" cried Dad, unexpectedly.

"I swear I don't even know what's going on!" I said, feeling worse than ever.

This was a nightmare. It had to be. I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming.

Turns out I was! Alright, sorry Pole, I wasn't, happy?

I thought I got you there, but my brother is going to make sure this is going to be in the final recording and not in any of the deleted parts. And he does all the technical work, for this and has asked me to stay out of it. I wonder whether he'll put this part in, though. I mean, I can't go long without humour.

Anyways, sorry for this weird thing in the middle of a tense moment. Anyways, back to my house:

Was I dead? And everyone with me? This was so confusing, this didn't make any sense.

My mother seemed to think so too.

"Alex," she said. "We clearly saw him the day they took off. Are they back?"

Dad looked at me for a second.

"No," he said. "They wouldn't be so stupid, you know it. Or at least not Apollo. THE BOY LEFT HIM ALONE."

The bell rang. Mum got the door. Meanwhile, Dad got up and dragged me to my room. Then he left the room and I heard him latch the bedroom door from the outside. I thought that was the worst thing, before he opened it again, but this time, carrying a cane.