Chapter 8: Last Laugh

As Max drove the Rv down the road, Gwen spotted a circus sign on a billboard by the pavement.

"Zombozo's Traveling Circus of Laughs?" Gwen read. "Cool!"

"I haven't been in the circus since I was a boy." Max informed. "Sounds like fun. What do you guys think?"

"I love the circus!"

"That because you're belong in one." Ben commented.

"Ben?" Max asked his grandson's opinion.

"Nah, circus is kid's stuff."

"Hello? What are we?" Gwen remarked.

Ben yawned. "Besides, it's pretty late."

"Ben, it's 11 o'clock in the morning." Max reminded.

"Fine by me!" Ben yelled out of the blue. "Ok, all right. You guys want to go see some stupid circus? Fine."

Both Max and Gwen confused by Ben's sudden outburst but Y/n who is sitting on shotgun understood him.

"Uh, what about you, Y/n?" Max asked.

"Not interested. Beside.." Y/n glanced at the billboard. "That thing is more of a freak than an actual clown."

"Was that your way of saying, you're afraid of a clown?" Gwen teased.

"No, that was my way of saying, that thing isn't a clown." Y/n corrected.

.
.
.

The gangs is now walking through the circus, passing stalls around them.

"Ooh, looks like the entire town is turned down for the show." Max commented at the crowd around him and the kids'.

While they're walking, Ben gazed around, seeing the curtains with a picture of the clown is looking back at him, making him uncomfortable.

"It's probably sold out." Ben assumed. "We'll probably just wasting our time."

As if fate jinxed it, the circus announcer introduced everyone to his 3 of performances. The first one is a bulky man carrying a metal rod named Thumbskull. Using his muscle, he bent the metal rod.

"How obvious." Y/n commented.

Thumbskull then tossed the bent metal rod to the next performer who is woman with a hair that can move on its own named, Frightwig. She caught the metal rod in midair and bent it more.

"Either she is an alien or a science experiment." Y/n assumed.

Frightwig placed the metal rod on ballast before the last performer appeared with a mask covering his mouth named, Acidbreath. True to his name, he breathed out an acid gas out from his mouth, melting the metal rod and the ballast.

"Okay, that guy need a mouthwash and a toothbrush. A lot." Y/n commented in disgust before he noticed that Ben is no longer beside him.

Quietly, he sneaked away from Max and Gwen. Tracing Ben with his keen nose, Y/n followed his scent until he found Ben on the corner of a tent, startling the Omnitrix's wielder.

"Don't do that!" Ben shouted in panic.

"Sorry, this place must've creep you out." Y/n pointed out.

"What do you mean?"

Y/n crossed his arms. "I know you're afraid of clown, Ben."

"What?! No, I'm not!" Ben denied.

"Ben, I'm your friend. I know what scares you and what is not." Y/n reminded him. "And to be honest with you, you have right to be afraid. Because that's normal."