6 - The uncrowned king

Winter held the land of Kelèn in a tight grip during Dánirah's trek north. She kept warm by walking, taking long strides, glad when the sun gained enough strength around noon to warm her limbs. At least the Haòn valley was snowless this year, and the king's road allowed her to move fast. But living off the land was impossible on this trafficked route.

Evening mists thickened over the river Keli when she reached Sitaja. In the golden light of the sinking sun, Dánirah climbed a small hill beside the road to admire the famous bridge constructed by royal engineers. The broad wooden passage rested on five enormous stone pillars built in the rushing torrent. In summer, she would use a ford a day's walk upriver. But with the snowmelt beginning, the water would be too dangerous and cold.

Should she cross today and try to find a place to sleep on the far shore? A cluster of houses with sloping reed roofs squatted close to the bank. She might find an empty barn or a place in a stable warmed by the body heat of the animals. Or she could go to the guesthouse on this side of the bridge and ask the landlord to let her entertain the customers by singing—in exchange for a hot meal and a sleeping place by the hearth.

She had done this twice since she left Penira, in places she remembered from voyages with her mother. Dánirah didn't like these arrangements and hated fending off the advances of travellers who thought a young Tanna travelling alone easy prey. But now and then, she needed to eat. At least the Keleni appreciated her voice—and probably her exotic appearance.

She sighed, undecided.

"A magnificent sight, the bridge."

The speaker used the old language. Dánirah turned to greet the Tanna who had joined her on the lookout. "It is, and less dangerous than to cross by boat."

The woman shook her mane of black braids and laughed. "I'm sure it is. The rapids of the Keli river are considered too dangerous for navigation for a reason." She reached out a hand. "Well met, daughter of the dawn. I'm Orinai."

"Oh." Dánirah knew the name. While she wore the black shawl of a respected member of the dawn people, the healer was younger than she had thought. "My name is Dánirah. Well met, Orinai."

"You are Shonai's daughter?" Orinai raised her brows. "Is the dreamer with you?"

"No, we had to separate. We plan to reunite farther north." Dánirah wasn't sure how much she should disclose, but Orinai accepted her answer with a nod.

The healer shaded her eyes with a hand and then waved towards a group of people down on the road. "If you travel north too, we can cross the bridge together. It will cost less for a family."

Dánirah had saved a coin to pay for the passage, but she suspected Orinai was right. Keleni would always try the get the better of a tribe member. The pending decision taken from her hands, she followed Orinai to the road where a dark-skinned man waited. Like Orinai and herself, he wore the traditional garb of the dawn people. A toddler slept in his arms, the head snuggled against the man's neck.

With a warm smile, he reached out a hand. "So my wife was right when she insisted she spotted a fellow tribeswoman. I'm He'sha, and this is our son A'shei." The boy opened his wide eyes and suckled on his thumb while he studied Dánirah.

She touched He'sha's palm. "Hey, I'm Dánirah. Well met." The boy reached out to grab her braid and pull it. She laughed and freed her hair. "And nice to meet you too, A'shei."

He'sha exchanged a glance with Orinai. "The dreamer's daughter. What an interesting coincidence."

Dánirah shook her head. "I don't have my mother's gift, so I follow her instructions."