14 - Help

Dánirah reached the summit in the first light of dawn. Liha rode beside her like he had done all night with the dragon leading them, sometimes flying high above, directing them with occasional fiery breaths. At other times, it came close enough to hear the rustle of its mighty wings. Now, it turned into a wide loop, angled its wings, and dived into the shadows of the gorge west of the hill. Liha reined in Hran. "Where is it going?"

Berim pulled up beside them. "Dragons are night creatures, and sunrise is imminent. Your hrankae friend led us as far as it could."

Dánirah scanned the terrain ahead. "It guided us to where we need to be. Look." She pointed out the two hosts about to clash in the Geai valley, obscured by the morning mists.

"Father." Pentim spurred on his mount, but Melish grabbed his reins.

"We must attack together in force, my prince, to turn the tide. Liha and his dragon gifted us with a fighting chance. Now let's play this well."

Pentim frowned but listened to the older warrior's instructions. Dánirah patted Lai's neck, unsure what she should do while the men checked their weapons, loosened the swords in their scabbards, and strung their bows. Liha joined her, his face pale and cheeks hollow. "Please, Dáni, promise me to stay out of the fight."

It was the first time he used her shortened name, as her mother preferred. She liked the sound of it. "I'm not a warrior and can't help you in this fight. I shouldn't even be here."

She shivered as a memory of the council in Senai's camp flashed across her mind. Although Tannarí disapproved of war, the elders had agreed to follow the king's call and support him for the greater good. She wondered if He'sha had assembled a Tannarí host but banned the thought and took Liha's clammy hand. "I'll wait here and see how it goes. Please stay safe, Liha."

He pressed her fingers, opened his mouth as if to speak, but closed it again and joined Berim. The first rays of the sun tinted the tan warrior's face golden. "You're an archer, Liha. Try to avoid sword fights. You're not ready for them. Remember? First, learn the rules of the game."

"I know, become better than they are." The young man thumbed his bowstring. Its deep note hung in the air when Melish gave the signal. Dánirah's hands cramped around the saddle knob as Liha shook his reins and galloped down the slope behind the prince. Would he act on Berim's advice?

From the vantage point on the summit, Dánirah observed the two hosts clash in the plain below. The chilly morning breeze didn't carry the sounds, but in Dánirah's mind, swords grated against swords and smacked into shields. A lump of bile rose in her throat, and she turned from the battle to explore the small plateau she stood on. Her mare grazed beside a standing stone and weathered grave mounds marking the summit as a burial ground of ancient kings. A shiver ran down her spine, and she stepped to the rim to check the progress of Melish's group. To the far left, Katim's rearguard arrived on the river road. They had made good progress and probably ridden in the darkness, too. But they wouldn't reach the battlefield before noon. Everything hung on Melish's small detachment.

The riders entered a forest at the slope's base where Dánirah couldn't follow their progress. In the meantime, the battle raged back and forth. It was hard to distinguish the sides, but she recognised the king's sun banner where the fighting seemed fiercest. Did the Keleni fall back? No, the king's troops held up. Everything would be fine—she hoped.

That's when she saw riders moving in the hills beyond the river. She strained her eyes, but there was no doubt. Another host arrived, the unordered ranks speaking against a regular army. The mercenaries would outrun Katim's reinforcements coming upriver. Melish's party needed to turn the tide soon, or their effort would be in vain.