Chapter 8: A Fool's Game

That familiar sound of ringing returns and I seem to be slowly regaining consciousness. I slowly open my eyes and only see a blur. Eventually, though, my senses return to me as I realise the scene that I find myself in is different. No longer does the sound of battle fill my ears and the sight of smoke obstructs my sight. Instead, I can faintly hear the ocean hum in the distance, and there is nothing but debris and rubble all around me.

My jet is unaccounted for, but it could be the vast expanse of debris near me. Hard to say, as everything was debris before already as well. But one question surfaces and mounts above all else: How? How am I alive? Why am I alive?

The Twins are dead. It'd be a miracle if everyone else, the few measly survivors made it out with their lives. If Delta is dead, and if Captain is dead... Why me? Years of fighting have inflicted their mark on me, but the last few days are especially taxing. What am I supposed to do now?

Somehow, I'm only bruised, minorly even. I don't understand it, but for some reason, this feels worse than the other wounds I've suffered, knowing it'll always remind me of what happened from this day on to the very end.

The sun pierces the skies which eased up after yesterday, a close miracle, too. I shake my head and stand up, dusting my scratched suit and promptly try to contact command.

Heavy static starts coming out of my device. "Nemesis?" a distorted voice asks, but I can still identify it regardless.

"What's the situation, Grant? The Twins are—What about the others?" I ask impatiently.

"Paris..." he responds, words barely making sense.

"What do you mean, Paris?" I ask. "What's happening over there?" I continue.

"Demons..."

I shake my radio in annoyance.

"Work, damn it!" I say as I do.

"Some of them broke through and opened a portal in Paris," his voice reaches through.

I'm in disbelief. "Then it was all for nothing...? What about the others? Tell me!"

"We can't reach them... All their signals d-d-disappeared..."

No... Are they truly gone? I still can't grasp my head around that reality, but if they are, then there is only one thing left for me to do. Something I've always excelled at.

"Send my suit to these coordinates. I'll make those demons pay with everything they can," I say coldly and type in a location not far.

Brief silence ensues, but we both know there's only one decision to be made here.

"...Are you sure?"

"What do you think? They fought for this, bled for this, and even died for this. I'll be damned before I let any other fate befall me."

"Very well..." he responds, sounding unsure. "Nemesis, I just want you to know that—"

I turn my radio off. Everything that needed to be said has been spoken. There's an old friend waiting and demons to be taken care of, and one of them will not wait for me.

After making sense of my surroundings, I quicken my pace and go to the nearby elevated ruins where the drop-off location is. It doesn't take long before I hear a sound in the distance and finally sight an ultra-fast plane which flies by and drops off a sealed rectangle-shaped crate bound to a parachute. It descends through the skies and ends up right in front of me.

Input code: Nemesis. Upon entering the password, the crate opens itself and reveals my trusted suit inside. Nemesis may be a weak password, but one would be surprised how obvious things aren't tried. Fingerprint or facial scans, however, I opted out of those simply due to preference.