Chapter Seven

WREN SAT IN THE CORNER OF HER CELL WITH HER KNEES PULLED TOWARD HER CHEST. She ached all over; every time she moved a muscle she wanted to cry, but she never did, she wouldn't give the Capitol the satisfaction.

Their torture seemed pointless to her. Snow already knows about District Thirteen, he knows about Alma Coin -which Wren wanted to know more about- and he knows the war isn't over.

After her message she encrypted for District Thirteen, and all of Panem if they understood it, they whipped her. They used her own weapon against her. Her back held five lashes. Her white suit wasn't all white anymore. Blood soaked through the back every now and then, but they would change her when she was asleep.

Her attention shifted when the door to her cell opened. She hoped it was Cato coming to save her, but it was just a peacekeeper.

"I have food for you," the peacekeeper told her. They brought her two meals a day which consisted of an apple and some cheese. At first, Wren didn't eat. She was scared they would poison her, but soon she became ravenous so she ate.

When the peacekeeper left she slowly ate the food. Her hazel eyes darted from wall to wall. How long has she been in the Capitol? Days? Weeks? When she finished the food she held onto the silver tray.

The same peacekeeper returned. "I'm here to collect your things," they looked around, "did you eat the damn tray too?"

Wren glared at him. The peacekeeper made a sudden move toward her and she lunged. She swung the tray in her hand as hard as she could. Her direct hit on the peacekeepers head made the man fall toward the floor. She swung again for the same spot. After two more hits the peacekeeper was dead.

Minutes later, three peacekeepers entered her cell. Two picked up the body while the third tased her arm. Wren yelped and fell to her knees.

When they left her alone she found her usual position back in the corner. She curled back up. The burn mark on her arm stung. Tears formed in her eyes and this time she let them fall.

...

"It's been a week, Alma. When are we getting my wife?" Cato asked at the round table.

The group met again, only this time it was Finnick, Katniss, Clove, Marvel, Finch, Cato, William, and the new team set on a mission for District Twelve.

"I'm glad you asked that, Cato," said Alma, her hair seemed to be greyer in the light, "because Plutarch and I have devised another plan, only this time it will work. District Seven has retaliated by killing hundreds of peacekeepers. District Five destroyed the dam, so the Capitol is running on backup generators which means they're weak."

Finch smiled at the mention of her District retaliating.

"Not to mention-"

The room began to shake.

"What the?"

The room shook more.

"Everyone find coverage!" Someone shouted from the hallway. "We're being attacked!"

Cato rushed out of the room along with the others. He grabbed William and ran in the only direction he could. When they found a safe space he noticed William was crying. The boy was balled up and rocking back and forth trying to regain his breath.

"William," Cato said, "hey buddy, look at me."

William's brown eyes found Cato's. His breathing didn't change, his head rate remained elevated.

"We're going to be okay," Cato told him.

The ground continued to shake as the two boys held onto themselves. What could this attack be?