Chapter 1: The beginning

Lucy walked into the station, shoving her first arrest into the front desk. "Officer Lucy Chen, reporting for duty."

As the words came out of her mouth, she almost keeled over as her heart stopped beating. Like, literally stopped. She knew exactly what that feeling meant - her mother hadn't shut up about it since she'd gone out into the " big wide world".

Her soulmate.

She took a deep breath, and steadied herself as her heart started beating again, only this time it felt a little heavier, as if there was an iron weight attached to it.

-

She smiled tightly as she saw Nolan and Jackson sat at the table through the glass walls of the roll call room. She kept breathing, in, out, in, out, as the pounding in her chest lightened. She felt physically sick - how was she going to get through the day? Luckily, she didn't have to make conversation, as Jackson and Nolan both held the same nervous air, ready for their first shift as real officers.

Sargent Wade Grey marched into the room, immediately capturing the attention of every person in his presence. His hold on the room full of people had Lucy already placing him on a pedestal in her mind as a figurehead of power at the station. Jackson had told her about Sargent Grey before, but being in his presence really cemented the experience for her, and she almost forgot about the heavy beating in her chest.

He began to talk, and she could vaguely hear the rumbling of his voice in the back of her mind, but the swelling of her heart was loud in her ears. She turned in a little when he began to talk to them directly.

"Bishop, you got the oldest rook ever, Officer John Nolan. "

Nolan turned around and smiled clumsily at her, and if not for the incessant beating and severity of the situation, she would have laughed. She was glad she'd broken it off with him before they'd started at the station.

"Officer Bradford, you get out hotshot Lucy Chen" her eyebrows shot up. She'd heard all about the legendary Isobel Bradford, the UC star! She was going to be Lucy's TO?

She began to smile as she turned around in her seat, and along with the shock of seeing a dirty-blonde, glaring hunk of a guy, her heart stilled. And all was quiet.

-FIN-