Chapter 3: The middle

Lucy dredged up the energy to roll out of bed, having once again, lost sleep to relentless dreams of Tim whipping around her head all through the night. She sighed as her feet hit the cold floorboards.

In her bathroom, she looked up to brush her teeth, and she caught herself in the mirror. She almost gasped as she took in her appearance. Her eyes were dull and lifeless, and her cheeks were gaunt. She looked as if she were about to drop.

-

At the station, Lucy watched Angela's face drop as she made her way over to Lucy.

"Oh my God Luce, you look awful, what happened?"

At this, Lucy raised an eyebrow at her coarse words. Angela cringed and tried again. "You okay Lucy?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just not feeling great."

"I can see that; are you sick?" She put a hand to Lucy's forehead, "you feel fine," she said.

Lucy couldn't tell Angela about Tim being her soulmate. She knew Angie wouldn't have a problem with it, it was Tim she was worried about. Once Angela found out, she would do everything in her power to get Tim to be with Lucy.

In the world they lived in, many were blessed (or cursed) with the gift of being a Feeler, of having a Soul. It might sound dark, but less a Soul in the literal sense, because everyone has souls, but Feelers have Soulmates, someone whose soul is bonded to another's. Now, it was not uncommon for a Feeler's Soul to be bonded to a normal person's soul, as was the the case with Tim and Lucy, but it was more common to have the old-style bonding, two Feeler's tended to be soulmates. And most people knew of the existence of Feelers, they weren't rare by any means, and it tended not to be a big thing. It was sort of a background channel of thought that was usually resolved after two soulmates bonded. What was rare however, was the rejection of a soulmate pair. Feelers were always attracted to their other half, and for said other half to dislike their feeler was almost unheard of. So the issue of Tim rejecting Lucy was almost unlikely.

But her parents had raised her, as "empaths" to respect others feelings, and that also meant not "trapping" someone into a relationship for the fear the Feeler could die.

Lucy sighed irritably at her moral compass.

-

"Luce, are you okay?" Tim's voice was low, his breath washed over her ear as he muttered to her in the line to the armoury. Clearly he didn't want anyone to hear.

Lucy shuddered at the warm air carresing the stretch of her neck, feeling immediately stronger. Placebo was a strong thing.

She nodded and forced a tight smile as he stepped away to grab the rifles.

"Yep, just a little tired today."

He looked her up and down. "Frankly Lucy, you look like you died and came back to life! We're you out at the bar last night?"

Lucy's mouth dropped, her mouth widening into a straight line frowning at Tim. All sense of endearment for this man vanished. How dare he?

FIN

AN sorry Ive been gone for actual months y'all, I've been V busy
Hope you enjoy this chapter ❤️