Chapter 43

David watched Eloise sleep. The two had sat talking into the dead of the evening. They'd talked, and they'd kissed, and they'd reveled in each other's presence until Eloise began dozing off at three o'clock. When he offered to escort her back to her bedchamber, she mumbled a soft no, rested her head on his shoulder, and closed her eyes. He was pleased with her response, for he too had been unwilling to let her out of his sight. He shrugged his travel coat off, and once he'd spread it on the floor, helped her settle on it, before settling beside her.

Sleep eluded him as he lay staring at her, his heart bursting with joy and contentment at the thought of having the woman he loved in his arms. He loved watching her sleep; he loved the expressions that creased her lovely face as she dreamed; he loved the soft sounds of her snoring; he loved her silly movements, for they gave him a reason to hold her through the night.

David wanted to do more than hold Eloise, he wanted to claim her as his under the starlight. But he didn't wish to dishonor her. He would marry her first, then he would have her.

Leaning forward, he kissed between her brows. "Wake up, my love. It's dawn." When she didn't respond, he kissed her full on the lips. She moaned, and taking advantage of the small opening of her mouth, he deepened the kiss. Her hands crawled up his chest as she threw a leg over his thigh and arched her back. He felt himself respond to her intimate movements, and fearing the passion that burned his flesh, he pulled back.

"David..." Her eyelids gave way to beautiful blue eyes.

He was dangerously aware of her hands that rested on his chest. "I must escort you to your chamber now, my love. I fear if we remain here a little longer, either Mr. Decker, his wife, or a servant might find us here."

He saw her disappointment as she nodded. "Yes, you're right. I must return now." She made to rise, but he gripped her hips, keeping her firmly before him.

He held her gaze. "I do not wish to leave your side. I hate that we must separate like this, when I would much rather spend the rest of the morning exploring every inch of you." Her entire face turned crimson. He was pleasantly surprised she didn't break eye contact with him.

"I..." She licked her bottom lip. "I do not wish to leave your side either."

"Then marry me."

A breathtaking smile claimed her lips. "Have you forgotten so soon, my lord? I already said yes."

"David," he corrected as he brushed her cheek. "And indeed, I remember. I shall live with the blessed memory for the rest of my life. But I do not simply mean that we be wed sometime this year, I mean right away. Today, at noon perhaps, or as soon as a ceremony can be had. I fear I lack the patience to endure the long voyage back to England, then wait for the banns to be read, or a special license to be had." He watched her eyelids widen several notches and shook his head. "You needn't conform to my wishes. It truly is up to you. I shall not fault you if you desire a proper wedding; one with a white dress, guests, and, of course, a wedding breakfast, or a ball—"

She giggled, halting his flow of words. "Oh David, of course I shall marry you right away."

"Are you certain? You seemed displeased at first."

"I was shocked, is all. Only a year ago, you were so averse to the concept of love. It's hard to believe you're the same man."

"Believe it." He kissed her one more time, then helped her to her feet. Once he'd seen her off to her bedchamber, he paced back and forth through the large foyer, hoping to speak with Mr. Decker first thing that morning.

Thirty minutes passed before Mr. Decker appeared at the top of the stairs, clad quite informally in simple black trousers and a white shirt. He raised a brow when he saw David.