Bake-neko (Demon Cat)

A Demon Cat, or a Bake-neko is a spiritual creature featured in much ofJapanese folklore. It is said that when a cat lives to an old age, it slowly begins to develop supernatural powers and becomes a Bake-neko. As their powers increase, they get larger and can grow to about the size of a full grown human. 

The name Bake-neko, means "Monster Cat" or "Transforming Cat". This is due to the superstition that these demonic cats can shapeshift and take the form of a human. Along with this ability it is said to be able to walk on two legs and have enormous arms that reach through doorways. It can also steal the identities of humans. 

How does it do this? By devouring the human, and then shape shifting into their victim afterwards. This leads many people to believe that you can be living among these monster felines without even knowing it. It is also believed that an owner can have a Bake-neko without even knowing since they can look identical to normal house cats. 

This can cause the owner to be in great danger, because Bake-nekos can easily eat their owner and shapeshift into them, taking their identity. It is not said that all cats can become Bake-nekos and only certain cats do. Many of them can get their powers from curses or magic, but a natural Bake-neko is said to come from a cat living over 13 years and weighing over 8 pounds.