29 - Matric Dance P1

SOLEIL

Mark steps out of the Bentley and walks around to the other side. The driver opens my door and my date stands at the ready with a proferred hand to help me out.

He's dashing in a black pin striped suit and a fedora tilted just so looking like an old Hollywood foe. I graciously accept his offer to steady myself in the new heels I have yet to break in.

They're a sparkling pair of YSL that I splurged on to match my dress which was only completed the day before. It has been fitted to perfection and hugs my slight curves. The strapless dress has a slight dip at the front giving my cleavage a nice boost considering I barely have boobs.

I'm patiently waiting for the day I graduate from a B to a C. Ironic, considering I would never wish for such a grade in any subject. However, my body is a different story.

Gugu and her team worked overtime to ensure the dress would be ready on time. The crystals and pearls have been hand-stitched and I worry that by the end of the night I might lose a few. The nude material underneath matches my skin tone almost perfectly. This dress was made for me and I absolutely adore it. 

Gugu surprised me with a set of matching gloves to add to that Old Hollywood feel and I adore her even more.

My hair has been curled, clipped, cooled, and combed out. I'm glad I'm not asthmatic because the amount of hairspray used to hold it together had me coughing up a fit towards the end. The stylist went with a side part and a lace headpiece to keep the hair away from my face.

I wanted to keep my makeup minimal with a dramatic cat eye and bold, red lip but otherwise I haven't contoured my face. I decided on a set of pearl earrings to complete the look, and damn do I look good if I do say so myself.

The matric dance committee, which consists of some Grade 11's, form a line to usher us to the photobooth as we walk hand in hand down the red carpet. I hear a few asking each other who I am. Do I look that different that I'm beyond recognition?

Gogo and Michelle were driven in a limo with Mark's parents. They really hit it off when he came over to pick me up and I'm glad. It looks like I have the go ahead for the after party with my overnight bag in the boot of the Bentley. 

They use a different entrance, and we follow the red carpet to the Hollywood set that has been laid out for a mini photo shoot complete with wallpaper, photo frames, a chaise lounge and a few props.

We stand in line behind a few other couples waiting their turn. Not everyone took a date from Milton because I genuinely don't recognise some of the people in here. I guess I can't hold it against the MDC for not knowing who I am among the new faces.

"You're definitely the best dressed," Mark says pulling me out of my thoughts. He extends his arm and steps back to check me out again.

"I think you're biased, but I appreciate it," I counter.