Chapter Ten

1962

(3rd person POV)

It had been two days since the gala and Y/N's mom still wouldn't stop teasing her daughter about what happened between her and Benny.

"Mom stop it!" Y/N said with a frustrated sigh as she tried to hide her red cheeks with the piano score she was holding.

"Aww, are you blushing? You know, I was just like you when I first met your father." Her mother laughed.

"MOM!" Y/N exclaimed.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it Y/N/N. You go on and continue playing the piano." Mrs. L/N told her before going to answer the door.

When she opened it, she was met with an unexpected face,

"Richard?"

"Good day Mrs. L/N is Y/N here?" Richard asked coldly.

"Uhh, yes. She's at the piano. Is there a problem?" Mrs. L/N asked.

"That's between me and your daughter, thank you." Richard said before letting himself in.

Richard followed the sound of the piano music into the living room where Y/N sat. She looked up at him without stopping her hands.

"Do you need something Richard?" Y/N asked calmly.

Instead of replying, he slammed the fallboard of the piano on her hands.

Y/N screamed in pain before she used her hands to push it back up.

"WHAT THE HECK!" Y/N exclaimed while grasping her hands which were starting to bruise.

Her mother rushed in at the sound of her daughter's screams.

"ARE YOU PURPOSELY TRYING TO MAKE US LOOK BAD?!" Richard yelled at her.

"What on earth are you talking about?" Y/N asked, still rubbing her hands while hissing.

Richard slammed a copy of the newspaper in front of her.

Y/FULL/N STUNS AUDIENCES IN A UNFORGETTABLE PERFORMANCE ON AN UNFORGETTABLE NIGHT

By Rachel Johnson

On November 6th of 1962 at the 25th Anniversary Gala of the National Art Museum, Miss Y/Full/N amazed audiences with her amazing talent and skills. Even though she is only at a bright age of 22, she flawlessly played 3 classical pieces which include '6 Ecossaises by Ludwig Beethoven', 'Gymonopédie No. 1 by Erik Satie' and 'Gnossienne No.3 by Erik Satie' on that night. Her elegant playing and presence on stage captivated the audience, leaving them wanting more. If you didn't know who she was before this, you sure do now!

Y/N first started her piano profession with small gigs in bars and restaurants before performing in hotels and events. Eventually leading up to this gala.

At the gala, she was accompanied by an unexpected person. She was accompanied by the chess prodigy, Benny Watts. The two are reportedly close friends and have known each other since childhood. However, it seems as if the two are more than that.

Our sources tells us that the two seemed awfully close and intimate with each other. Both were seen dancing and holding onto each other like lovers do. As of now, neither one of them has said anything about this relationship. Although they seem like an unlikely pair due to Y/N being an engaged woman, to Mr. Richard Black the heir of Black enterprises, surprises are bound to happen from time to time.

Will these two blossom into a loving romance? Or will they stick to their lives that have been laid out for them?

There were two pictures at the side of the article. The first was a picture of Y/N holding on to Benny's arm as they entered the museum. Both were grinning ear to ear in the photograph. The second was a picture of them dancing with Y/N's head on Benny's chest.

Y/N looked up at her fiancé when she finished reading the article.

"This is the reason you stormed into my house? Some rumor which you know is not true?" Y/N asked in disbelief.

"At this rate I don't know what to believe anymore." Richard scowled.

"What are you-" Richard cut her off.

"DON'T PLAY COY WITH ME Y/N! DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT WATTS WAS THE ONE THAT PICKED YOU UP FROM MY PLACE THAT NIGHT!" Richard screamed.

"How did you-" He cut her off again.

"I ALSO KNOW ABOUT YOUR WEEKLY WALKS! YOU THINK IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE Y/N? WELL YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF THAT QUESTION!" Richard continued yelling.

Mrs. L/N was about to step in but Y/N shook her head at her. She didn't want to drag her mother into this situation.

"Richard, this wouldn't have happened if you were my date to the gala. The only reason I asked Benny to go with me, was because you said you couldn't make it. So technically, that's on you." Y/N said coolly.

Richard's glare hardened.

"What did you say you little-" Richard grabbed her face to make her look at him.

"Don't forget, I can call off this wedding and your family will be indebted to mine. I can seize everything away from you in less than a second. So I suggest you choose your next actions wisely Y/N." Richard spat.

Y/N's blood went cold.

He was right. If Richard called off the wedding, they were screwed. Everything they've ever owned will be taken away from them. Richard had the power to throw her father in jail for not being able to pay the debt. She may never see her father again if that happened.

Y/N's stomach clenched at the thought. Richard noticed and smirked.

"Good girl." He whispered.

"You are not to see that chess player ever again." Richard said as he stood up straighter and let go of her face.

"But-" He cut her off with a glare.

Y/N looked at the ground and nodded solemnly.

Richard looked proud at what he's done and walked out the door without so much as a 'thank you' or 'goodbye'.

Y/N let out a breath she didn't know she held.

Mrs. L/N rushed to her daughter's side and embraced her as tears start streaming down her face.

Y/N hated feeling like this. She felt weak and useless. She had to stay strong, for the family.

________________________________________________________________________________

Benny stood outside the L/N family residence and knocked on the door. He was expecting Y/N to open the door but instead, it was her mother.

"Oh, hi Mrs. L/N. Is Y/N home?" Benny asked politely.

"I'm sorry Benny, but Y/N can't join you." Mrs. L/N said sadly.

Benny's smiled dropped.

"What?"

"Both of you stirred up quite the scandal on the papers today." Mrs. L/N said as before handing him a copy of the paper.

Benny quickly read it.

"When Richard found out, he went mental. He forbade Y/N to see you again." Mrs. L/N explained.

"But Y/N and I are just friends." The words stung his mouth as he said them.

Mrs. L/N smiled.

"I know you mean no harm dear, but there's nothing we can do." Mrs. L/N said as she was closing the door. But before she fully closed it, she peeked out slightly and whispered.

"Go to the back. That's where her window is. It's the same room." Before quickly closing the door.

Benny wasted no time and ran to the back of the house.