Chapter 40 - The Battle of Bows

Marian's thoughts were racing

Marian's thoughts were racing. She stood there, not knowing what to do or what to think. Her palms became damp. Nervously she stroked her lap and wrinkles from her dress where there were none.

'You foolish idiot! You can't mingle so openly! You'll be discovered!' she thought desperately, wondering what was happening in that man's head. Was this his plan? That was completely crazy. But... wasn't that exactly his way? Crazy ideas? How on earth had he been successful before they had worked together? 'Lucky,' she grumbled inwardly, wanting to slap her hand to her face with a groan.

"My lady?" the servant murmured, and her father, too, leaned forward a little in the oak chair in irritation to look at her questioningly.

Then Marian finally broke free from her rigidity. Astonishment in her father's features accompanied her steps as she rose and walked down the dais to join the herald. The irritated man cast a nervous glance from her to his lordship. The latter did not know what his daughter was up to either and shrugged his shoulders in irritation.

"You want what?" the herald asked uncertainly. He stepped from one foot to the other and could not believe that he had heard correctly. Marian, however, approached the arbiter - a gaunt, young monk in a tan robe and rosary who introduced himself as 'Brother Tuck.' He possessed a narrow, friendly face, alert eyes, and a sympathetic smile. They said that the top of his head was circular and shaved bald, except for the crown of dark brown hair - so that God could see into the head. An indecisive and caught-off-guard archer stood beside him, not knowing what to do now.

"Be so kind as to give me the bow," Marian asked, and the men exchanged glances, silent questions, and confusion among themselves.

However, the Lady turned instead toward the tribune and then the people.

"This is a feast in my honor," Marian called aloud, feeling the leather-wrapped bow grip in her hands. She had loved this feeling ever since she could remember. She remembered clearly that one day when she held a bow in her hands for the first time. It hadn't been with Guy and Robin - she was younger. The sun was shining, her father and mother were laughing, and against all reason, her father had handed his bow to his wife.

Happy memories, full of laughter and tenderness. Her father had taken her on his hips, and her mother had handed her the bow. Of course, she was too young to shoot properly, the bow much too big. She was sure the arrow would only make a slight arc, if at all, and then land in the dirt. But it didn't matter. Her father had been so immensely proud. It was one of the fondest memories of her life. It gave Marian a silent, invisible security that no one could understand.

"Archery is my favorite discipline. And so today, I would like to offer a special challenge to the participants!" the castle lord's daughter announced, raising her hand to instruct the servant. "Remove all the discs except one!" she commanded, and a smile graced her lips.

She saw the concern on her father's face. His eyebrows were drawn closer together, almost meeting in the middle. His brow was furrowed in deep creases. Marian could read the question openly: 'Marian, my child, what exactly is this going to be?'

Then she raised the bow, and murmurs went through the crowd. Ladies gasped indignantly. One or two lords leaned to one side. Some stared like she had become a fire-breathing dragon with smoke and roar. Others smiled at her and seemed to be making crude jokes. Sir Guy was told to keep his wife in check somewhere in the distance before she shot another squirrel or even a poor farmer. Distant, scattered laughter.

Marian ignored it. She took a deep breath to calm her pounding heart. Time flowed more slowly for her as she angled her arm and pulled back the string. The arrow lay before her like a familiar friend, a secret confidant in many days and nights when she had felt lonely. She was surrounded by many people - and yet alone. Because she wanted to ride, help simple people, and, yes - archery. She wondered which way she should go.

The arrow whizzed away and hit the bull's eye. Mouths dropped open; disbelief mingled with outrage. Marian's lips drew higher. Should some be outraged. But this tiny seed would surely reach one or two who wanted to be MORE. Breaking out of the barriers they were in simply because everyone else exemplified it. Should they see that a lady could bang against the golden cage bars.

"You allow your daughter to do such... things?" a nobleman murmured in a nasal voice from the right, and the Earl pursed his lips barely noticeably. "You should get her under control. This is not proper."

"Did you know about this?" a shocked woman murmured.

The sheriff gave the Earl a sharp look, and the latter stroked his mouth with his hand - but only to hide the hint of a smirk.

Marian turned and handed the bow back. "The one who comes closest to my arrow shall be the winner!" she announced loudly, smiling at the participants. Then she approached each one and handed each of them a single arrow. Not three shots. Just one shot for each. She lingered a tiny moment longer with the last of the contestants.

"You should keep your eye on your target," she advised the man, whose eyes flashed from under the brim of her hat in a too-familiar, mischievous, and bold way.

Robin's lips formed a foxy grin as his gaze broke away from the blue eyes, which chastised him with small flashes. He followed the red curls, climbing down and up the slender figure once. It was bold in such an obvious way that it made Marian's cheeks tingle. She felt like slapping him in the face - though simultaneously, she was secretly pleased.

"I always have my target in sight, my lady," the disguised thief replied, his eyes lingering on the chain around her neck, only to seek her gaze again. Their gazes locked for brief but meaningful seconds before he continued, "Though it may not seem so at times."