The missing pooch.

Private Investigator John had seen it all in his long career, lots of thefts, murders and everything in between. But this case was different and it pulled his heartstrings. It was about a missing dog,  an award winning little pooch named Lucky.

Lucky's owner, Mrs. James, was a frail old lady who now lived alone. Her little dog was her constant companion and the one bright spot in her otherwise lonely life. So when Lucky went missing, Mrs. Jameson was full of worry.

She had searched high and low, put up posters and when nothing had turned up, she decided that it was time to hire a private investigator. She tried to not lose hope and when she saw John's picture on a newspaper, after he successfully solved a difficult case, she found his phone and called his office to ask for his help. 

It was the first time John was taking on a case like that, but he was determined to find Lucky. He knew that dog theft was a lucrative business and he suspected that someone had stolen Lucky and was holding him for ransom.

He started his investigation by questioning the neighbours. It was a quiet street and everyone knew everyone else's business. But no one had seen anything unusual.

Next, he checked out the local shelters and pounds, but Lucky was not there. He was about to give up when he remembered something he had heard about, there was a group of people who were known to steal pets and sell them on the black market.

He spent several days surveilling the group's known haunts and finally, he saw a man walking Lucky on a leash. He followed the man to an abandoned building on the outskirts of the town.

John called the police so that they come to arrest the criminals and then entered the building. The stench was overpowering and it was clear that the building was being used as a holding place for stolen pets.

Lucky was cowering in a corner, looking scared and alone. John scooped him up and hugged him tight. He couldn't wait to return the dog to his owner.

The culprits were arrested and Lucky was returned to his grateful owner. Mrs. James was overjoyed and thanked John with tears in her eyes. John felt a sense of satisfaction that he hadn't felt in a long time.

The case of the missing pooch had been solved and justice had been served.