Chapter 23 - Visitors

Eleanor turned around to see her sisters Margaret and Alice and they all three squealed as they rushed forward and gave each other a hug.

"Ugh! It feels like it's been a lifetime since I've seen you two and it's only been a week," Eleanor sighed, holding them in her arms and squeezing them tight. She loved her sisters so much and she had really missed them.

She couldn't even imagine how sad it was going to be to get married and move away from them for good. Then she stepped back and took a good look at them and realized they were both wearing ball gowns and their hair was pulled up in a fancy braided style. They both looked so beautiful and grown up.

"Where did you get these dresses and how are you here?" Eleanor asked.

They both smiled at each other before Alice said, "It was King Henry's doing. He said he wanted your first ball to be perfect and that would only happen if your sisters were here to enjoy it with you."

"You talked to Henry?" Eleanor asked, scrunching her brow.

Margaret smiled and said, "He came by the house a couple days after you left and brought us to the castle in his carriage to get fitted for these dresses. We had to be so careful not to run into you so we wouldn't spoil the surprise."

Alice giggled and said, "Henry is SO handsome. I didn't even know it was possible for a man to be that handsome."

Margaret looked at Eleanor, thinking for a few seconds before asking, "What's going on between the two of you? I saw the way he was looking at you just now."

Eleanor looked around before leaning in close and whispering, "You can't tell anyone else this, but ..... he kissed me." She couldn't hold back the smile that appeared on her face.

"What?!" Margaret said in shock. "He didn't!"

Alice squealed and clapped her hands excitedly. "I knew it! As soon as I heard you were staying at the castle, I knew the King was going to fall in love with you. It's like a fairy tale."

Eleanor's smile faded away and she looked down, letting out an exhale.

She shook her head. "No, this isn't like one of our fairy tale books Alice. Our story can't have a happy ending."

"Why not?" Alice asked, scrunching her brows.

"Because a King isn't allowed to marry a commoner. I couldn't be crowned queen and our children couldn't rule. He's most likely going to end up marrying Jacqueline, the French princess, and I've already agreed to marry Lord Walton, his best friend."

"But what about Thomas?" Margaret asked, looking concerned.

Before she had a chance to answer, Eleanor saw someone approaching out of her peripheral vision and she looked over to see Lord Walton in a really nice suit, looking as handsome as ever, except for the black eye he was sporting from when Henry punched him.

"Speak of the devil," Eleanor laughed, shaking her head.

"Eleanor," Arthur smiled, leaning down and kissing each of her cheeks in greeting before looking over at her sisters. "And who are these lovely ladies?"

"Lord Walton, these are my sisters, Margaret and Alice."

He smiled and said, "It's nice to meet you both. I can see that beauty runs in your family."