Chapter 12

The lack of glitz and glamour that Choi Yeonjun had arrived with was almost insulting. Of course, none of the international attendees arrived with much fanfare; these were war times, after all. Still, though. He was a crown prince. You'd think they would've at least woken Beomgyu up when the carriage arrived.

So when someone pounded on Taehyun's bedroom door in the early hours of the morning, an unsuspecting Beomgyu covered his head with his pillow and yelled "Taehyun! Can you get the door?" at his wall. He heard a tired groan, then a yelp, then some heavy footsteps before the door creaked open.

Satisfied, Beomgyu snuggled back into his pillow again only to be torn out of his daze by Taehyun's sleepy voice getting closer to his door. "Beomgyu, it's for you. Get up."

"Tell them to leave."

His door cracked open to reveal Taehyun still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, face puffy and pink. "Get up," he repeated, marching over to Beomgyu's bed and standing over him with his arms crossed.

Beomgyu blinked up at him, enamored by the way his sharp nose caught the morning light just right. "Don't wanna," he whispered, letting himself fall into Taehyun's eyes just a little. He'd been doing a good job of keeping his distance for the past few days, but when he was sleepy, he always started to slip.

Taehyun cast a tired look back at the door, then bent over and scooped Beomgyu into his arms with no hesitation, ignoring the resulting shriek as Beomgyu started holding onto his neck for dear life. "You'll thank me later," he murmured, slipping out into his own bedroom and nudging the door open with his foot as Beomgyu started whining for him to drop him.

The second Beomgyu processed who it was, he let out a scream so loud that Taehyun immediately clamped a hand over his mouth, hissing for him to shut up as he dropped his legs. "Yeonjun, Yeonjun, Yeonjun!" Beomgyu squealed, tackling him in a hug the second his legs hit the ground. He faintly heard Soobin laughing, but he was too happy to care. "Oh my god, you're early!"

"You're choking me, Gyu," Yeonjun whined, laughing as he wrapped his arms around Beomgyu's waist. "Geez. Don't kill me in the first few minutes I'm here."

Beomgyu buried his nose in the shoulder of Yeonjun's jacket, breathing in the scent of home. "I missed you so fucking much, oh my god. So much has happened. How are Mom and Dad? Is everyone at home okay? Do they still make cookies the same-"

"Calm, calm, calm, calm," Yeonjun hushed, glancing around the empty hallway. "Missed you too. I just wanted to come and say hi. We can catch up later today."

Throwing a fake punch at his shoulder, Beomgyu pulled away, pouting. "You wake me up at ass-o-clock and pull me out of my warm bed to say hi and then not talk to me?"

"Touché." Yeonjun glanced around him at Taehyun, who looked extremely out of place. "Mind if I steal your husband, your highness?" he asked with a lopsided smile. Beomgyu hit him lightly, giving Taehyun a pleading look.

Something in Taehyun's expression hardened. "Yeah, whatever. Don't wake me up when you come back in." He abruptly shut his door, leaving the trio outside. Soobin and Beomgyu exchanged a look, but Beomgyu shook Taehyun's mood off. He was probably just tired.

Yeonjun wiggled his eyebrows. "Wow, he's a joy. Trouble in paradise?"

"Don't even get me started." Beomgyu grinned at Soobin, locking arms with Yeonjun. "Library?"

"Library," Soobin agreed, falling into step with him on his other side.

The second they'd sat down at one of the tables, lanterns flickering around them, Yeonjun had planted his hands on the polished wood, his teeth glinting as he grinned. "You, Choi Beomgyu, need to tell me all about what it's like being married to a Kang. A Kang! I'm surprised you're even alive to speak to me."