Chapter 5: Prelude To The Traitor's Demise

Kei's POV

April 8, 2016
Class 2-D

Honestly, I feel bad for Kushida-san.

Kiyotaka had never fully told me what happened between him and Kushida-san. All I knew was that she had betrayed the class because both Kiyotaka and Horikita-san knew about her past and she wants them expelled for it, as well as the fact that she was simply faking her personality. I also knew that she likes hoarding secrets for herself.

Still, despite all the things she did, I only ever felt pity for her.

Pity that she had picked a fight with Kiyotaka. A true monster in human skin.

Am I being insensitive by saying that even though I'm his girlfriend? No. I fell in love with him knowing fully what kind of person he is. I knew that he was a horrible human being who is fully capable of doing inhumane things without batting an eye. Whether it was to threaten someone by rape or intentionally leave someone to be tortured in order to test their loyalty, he will do anything to win, to achieve victory.

Yet, I had still loved him. I had accepted him for who he is. Even after he told me that he didn't love me, my feelings for him never waned. In fact, it grew stronger than ever. I only felt it even more necessary to stand by his side both as his partner and as a lover.

Because no matter how much of a monster he truly was, he had saved me. He had pulled me out of the depths of despair with his own darkness and allowed me to be free from the shackles of my past. He gave me the chance to be reborn, to be someone who would not depend on others for survival. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka was my savior, and he had become an important existence in my life.

Once I had found out about his past, any last reservation that I have about being his girlfriend were all thrown out the window. I was fully prepared to give him every ounce of love that I could muster. I became determined to make Kiyotaka regain his humanity, to teach him about love, empathy, and compassion, things that his parents should have taught him, yet they were the ones who took it away instead. I was prepared to fight for his freedom alongside him.

And that is why I should have been angry at Kushida-san for trying to take away that freedom from him.

But I wasn't, because I knew that no matter what Kushida-san does, she would never be able to even touch Kiyotaka.

Considering the type of person that Kushida-san was, I'm surprised that she never tried to find out anything about Kiyotaka's secrets. Maybe she thought that a "gloomy loner" like Kiyotaka could never have any damning secrets? Or maybe she has blackmail material against him?

Not that blackmail from someone like her would be effective against Kiyotaka.

Seriously, considering how many times she had failed in trying to expel either of them, she probably should have given up by now. Was it confidence? Plain ignorance? Maybe she had strong will, just like me?

Well, in this case, she chose the wrong opponent to be determined against. Going against Kiyotaka is like committing suicide.

The only reason why Kushida is still here is because Kiyotaka never took her seriously. He just saw her as an ant that he can just crush at any time.

I really do feel bad.

Why was I thinking all of this? Well, I am currently witnessing Kushida crying over the fact that she found a dead rat on her locker. She was being bullied.

(A/N: Honestly, I don't remember if it was mentioned where the students of ANHS put their stuff when they're not in class. I know that they don't use textbooks anymore at the start of Year 2, but I assume they still have notebooks they need for taking down notes, or maybe not? Anyway, let's just say they have lockers to put stuff here in this fan fic, and move on.)