Chapter Eight

It was Friday morning, and Todd felt refreshed and pleased. After the positive feedback from last night, he felt as if he could do anything, much more than reading a poem to his English class.

He looked over at Neil, who was looking a little bit better than the night before. He was mouthing words of his poem to himself, similarly to the way he would memorize his lines, Todd noticed. They got dressed and walked to the dining hall, where, surprisingly, no Welton hash was being served. The cornflakes and fruit tasted better than any meal Todd had eaten there yet. Having finished, Todd sauntered down to Keating's class while having a conversation with Pitts about a science project they were paired to do. It was refreshing talking to him, because he felt like he never did. In reality, Pittsie was a shy kid, just like Todd, who also geeked over one subject and had a tendency to stick to one person.

They had arrived in the classroom and sat in their seats. Keating hadn't gotten there yet, but what else was new? Todd got situated and met Neil's eye. He looked nervous, practically scared. Todd sent him a little smile and turned his head back, not waiting for Neil's reaction.

Keating finally entered, flamboyant as ever. He wore a smirk on his face and had papers in his hands. Passing a blank sheet to everyone, he took his place up front and began to speak.

"When presenting, you will stand up in front of my desk, name your given prompt, recite, and sit down. Those of you not presenting at that time will write down one word on their paper and give it to the presenter when they finish. It doesn't necessarily have to do with their poem, it could be on their stance, look, anything. It just has - to - be - relevant!" He clapped his hands between his words as the boys in the classroom got out their pencils and more paper. "Now, I will need a volunteer. I hope you all remember my minor criticisms from last time? I'm looking at you, Hopkins. Now; anyone?"

Two or three hands went up, but John Keating's eyes were on someone else. "Neil my boy, come here!"

Todd could practically see the remaining color drain from Neil's face. He stood up and slouched over.

"Ri-right. My prompt was 'My Favorite Person in the World.'"

Todd knew who it was going to be, anticipating loud whoops from Charlie and eye rolls from everyone else, Neil bashfully rubbing the back of his neck and fixing his glasses while getting high fives. But then he started.

"Midnight,

Theater,

Poems in the dark.

"The smile I see

I cannot describe,

"That Holy being,

Barely out of reach,

Just across the room-

"Stolen glances,

Tear-away hugs,

Do they even know

How beloved by me

They truly are?

"I believe I have a hold,

For if I do not,

I will sink,

Drowning in my love.

"Kisses,

Secret even to them.

Bold confessions,

Truth that kills.

"Abandoned lies,

Made only for safety.

"My shining rhymer,

My Light,

My Dove,

"If I had one wish

It would be to finally feel

Your Saving Grace."

-----------

The class was silent, even Keating. Neil was shaking as he moved through the desks to his own, finally sitting down. As soon as he did, the class tentatively wrote their words and passed them to him. Neil was looking everywhere for him, but his seat was empty.

That seat stayed empty until the end of English, Neil numbly sitting and not listening, unable to tear away from that one note. With folds going up it's middle and sides, Neil reread the word 'Me' in Todd Anderson's handwriting.

Hi! I really hate doing these because I think they disrupt the flow of the story but I just wanted to thank everyone for 250+ reads?! It's crazy to me people are reading this lmao. Anyways, Idk if this story is going to be too much longer, but if in high demand a epilogue or potential sequel could be in the works later on! Thanks again!