Chapter Nine

Todd sat in his seat, stunned. 'This isn't happening.'

His hands were shaking as he wrote his word, delicately folding up his paper. Then, gently getting up from his seat, Todd took off. He needed to find his journal as soon as possible.

He ran into his dorm and flung himself onto his bed, going in between his mattress and bed frame to grab it.

Shit. I can't think of any other word to describe my feelings. It was him. My boy is Neil. What am I going to do? Should I talk to him? He lied. I need help. Please.

Todd shut his journal and waited. Neil would have to come in sometime, and Todd would be ready.

Lunch had passed, and by then the anxious tapping of Todd's foot against the wooden floor made him sick to his stomach. He felt hopeless. 'He isn't going to come. This was probably all a cruel joke- I came out to him and now you're facing the consequences!'

The door creaked and Todd jumped to look, only to be slightly disappointed by seeing Pitts' face. "Oh, hi."

"Hey, Todd. Mind if I sit?" He took a few steps into the room when Todd nodded and patted the spot next to him on his bed. Pitts lumbered in and sat cross legged next to him.

"You left."

"I know."

Pitts took a big sigh. "Well, everyone's worried. Even Mr. Keating. I came to check up on you, though, well- nobody really asked- I just-"

"Thanks," Todd weakly smiled and Pitts grinned and shrugged.

"No problem. Neil seems really worried about you though. More than the rest of us, I mean. You should talk to him."

Todd shifted in his seat, "Well, I don't know, should I really?"

"Yeah. Todd, I'm more observant than everyone thinks. You should talk to him, he loves you a lot."

"Because we're best friends-"

"You know I don't mean it like that. You aren't the only different one here."

Todd's eyes widened. "You- you too?"

Pitts nodded. "He really likes you Todd. You like him too?" Todd nodded. "Well, he's in the cave. Go get him, Todd."

Pitts smiled as Todd's face lit up.

"Yeah, I think I will."