ocean

I walked by the ocean today. I think I could spend all night writing, if only to talk about the ocean. The endlessness of the ocean. How the land looked, rising out of the ocean. When I truly understood the significance of something so large, and the insignificance of someone like me. I do not recoil, or laugh at this fact. I merely observe.

I observe as the tides pull in and out of shore, as the waves crash against the rocks and reefs. They do not have feelings. They do not care if they break or die. They do not think about the ocean that created them, or the fate they must endure. Perhaps they do not die, then. Do not live.

What is so important about life, anyway? Why do we place value in the act of experiencing? It is merely an experience that happens regardless of whether you choose or will it to happen. There is pain, sure. There is love, I guess. But do they not cancel out? Isn't it easier to have no feelings, like the ocean?

Maybe I will look back on this one day and realize that I am a fool. That this is someone young and immature and inexperienced and foolish. That no, there is beauty, maybe in the simple things, in pretending that there is a grand scheme of things, or in watching the ocean consistently push and pull, or nature reclaiming what was once theirs.

But I do not pretend to know. I only call it as I see it. As I walk these winding hills to this bench that I frequent. Staring out at the ocean.