Chapter 12 - The Fight

Once my family had woken, we all continued to lay down with each other. Tuk sitting cross-legged on my stomach, not allowing me to sit up myself.

I lay silently as everyone spoke or played games. We were there for a good few hours till we decided it was best to head off to breakfast.

My parents had not told my other siblings about what I had told Ao’nung but they did pull me aside.

“Ronal and Tonowari would like to speak with you. But nothing else.” my mother said, pulling a braid behind my ear.

I had managed to get out of talking with Ronal and Tonowari for a week. Lying to both my parents and the couple.

It was a sunny day and I was spending my time in a tree, laying on a branch that stretched out towards the sea.

My eyes were closed till I head the sound of water swishing around below me.

I opened my eyes and turned onto my stomach, looking over the edge.

Kiri had walked over and proceeded to lay down in the water on her stomach too. She was just looking to the sand.

I realised then and there that it had something to do with her connection with Eywa.

I continued to watch over my sister till I heard voices headed her way. Ao’nung and his friends.

I had not spoken to Ao’nung for a week either. Avoiding him as much as his parents. Especially since he had told them of my secret.

He lost any type of trust I had in him thatnight. Not that there was much there. But I thought that after his kindness shown towards me that day of the episode, he would have been a lot nicer, maybe not told his parents.

But I don’t know what I was thinking in trusting him.

“What is she doing?” He asked his 3 goons. They all laughed.

“She is just looking at the sand”

Kiri sat up once she noticed their shadows.

“Are you…some sort of freak?” Ao’nung asked, using his hands to talk as always. Kiri looked around to the boys as she stood up, not quite hearing what they were saying.

“He asked if you are a freak?” his short haired friend said with a smirk.

My sister rolled her eyes, trying to walk away from the boys mumbling ‘no’ to them as she did.

But they persisted. Grabbing onto her writst and tail. Asking her why she looked the way they did.

I was about to jump down and intervene when I saw Lo’ak storming towards them.

“Back off fish lips” He yelled, helping his older sister out of the situation. But the boys soon turned to him. surrounding him and picking on him.

He tried to fight it off and walk away but it was three against one. Kiri yelled at them to leave them alone but of course they wouldn’t listen.

I thought about jumping down once more but didn’t want to get involved if it meant making my head throb with pain.

Because I had been avoiding Ronal, I was not able to take any medication for my nose bleeds or fainting. So, I had to be extra careful.

I looked to the water and saw Neteyam making his way over. Not saying a word as he pushed Ao’nung away from his baby brother.

Ao’nung was shocked at this but kept his face calm.

“you heard what she said” Neteyam said calmly, but full of anger. “Leave them alone.” He raised his hand and placed a finger on Ao’nungs chest.