Chapter three

Naveah had faced many terryfing situations in her life. As one of the few hunters in her clan of gatherers, she often ventured deep into the forest alone, confronting deadly creatures that inhabited Pandora. But even meeting the mighty palulukan couldn't compare to the horror she felt as she was about to approach the clan's gathering.

"At least it's getting dark," Naveah thought, hoping to avoid the prying eyes of the crowd. But her hopes were dashed when she saw the burning fires and torches that had been lit during her absence.

As she walked through the corridor formed by the standing Na'vi, all eyes were on her. Some even moved to the front of the crowd to get a closer look at the woman with such an unusual appearance. Whispers, gasps, laughter, and even hisses reached her ears. With graceful poise, Naveah continued on her path, making her way toward Mo'at, who was waiting for her.

Neteyam's siblings joined him, standing alongside their parents just a few meters behind the Tsahìk. "And here I thought I was the freak," Lo'ak whispered to Neteyam, but there was no response from him. Lo'ak looked up at his brother, finding him in awe of the young woman standing before them.

Neteyam suspected that beautiful features were hidden behind that thick coat of mud. As he gazed at her, he realized he was not prepared for what he saw. Naveah's skin was radiant, her full lips, though pressed together in anxiety, appeared soft and inviting. Framed by a canopy of white lashes, her violet doe eyes sparkled like precious jewels. Her snowy hair cascaded down, gracefully framing her heart-shaped face.

"What is your name?" Mo'at inquired, her eyes studying Naveah intently.

"I am Naveah," she replied softly.

Mo'at unsheathed her Tsahìk knife and pricked Naveah's shoulder, drawing a few drops of blood. She tasted them and continued, "We have been warned that taking you in may bring great threat. Can you say something in your defense?"

"I have never intended or wished any harm to come to my people. I hold no ambition for power, and only seek to be accepted by the clan," Naveah earnestly responded. 

"Could someone from the clan vouch for your pure intentions?"

"I don't think so, they all despise me," Naveah whispered.

"And your family?" Mo'at asked, searching for more information.

"They no longer live," Naveah said with a painful tone. Mo'at gestured for her to continue.

"My sister Tewah sadly passed away in the recent events Hathe described. My father, a great warrior among our clan, the younger brother of our last Olo'eyktan, died during one of the many attacks of the Sky People. And my mother..." Naveah's voice trembled as tears gathered in her eyes. Unable to contain her grief any longer, a single tear escaped, streaming down her cheek.

"You killed her!" Hathe shouted, finishing Naveah's sentence. "Moments after you came into this world, her heart stopped beating forever!"

Naveah lowered her head, overwhelmed by the accusations. "Just go ahead, cast me out! I know you all have long wished for that." she adressed the members of her clan. "It would not make any difference to my situation anyway." she added with bitter tone in her voice.

"Well, if not even your own people want to vouch for you..." Mo'at began, but her sentence was cut short by a confident voice shouting, "I can vouch for her!"

Naveah looked up to see Neteyam stepping forward, speaking to the entire crowd. "This woman saved my life today!" he announced. "I found myself cornered by the sky people, and she effortlessly struck four of them down in the blink of an eye, just as I was about to meet my demise!"

"Neteyam?!" Neytiri hissed in disbelief. "You nearly got yourself killed, and you're only telling us now??" Anger flooded her face.

Jake intervened, "We can discuss the matter of our son's irresponsibility later." Visible concern showed on his face, a frown appearing on his forehead as he shook his head at Neteyam. He then turned to Naveah, "Is my son telling the truth?"

Naveah locked eyes with Neteyam and felt a sense of comfort from his gentle, acknowledging smile. "Yes," she nodded and continued, "I was guarding my people as they needed to rest after a long day of travel. That's when I saw an aircraft landing not too far from our hideout. Soon after the soldiers left, I took down the one who stayed beside the machine, and as I followed the trail of the rest of their group, I saw your son, Neteyam, strike down two of them. But suddenly more of them appeared, and I knew he needed my help, so I did not hesitate."

The people remained silent, hanging on her every word.

"I think that after what we have just heard from this brave woman," Jake addressed the crowd with confidence, "I cannot see any harm coming to our clans from her presence. Quite the opposite, Naveah has proven herself not just as a skilled fighter but as a true protector of life. In these times of uncertainty, our clans can only benefit if someone with such qualities stands beside us." Jake stepped closer to her, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder, and said, "You are welcome amongst the Omatikaya, Naveah."

A huge smile of relief spread across her face. "Thank you," Naveah said with heartfelt gratitude.

"My people, please help and aid your brothers and sisters from the neighboring clan, treating them as if they were our family," Jake appealed to the Omatikaya. Turning to his children, he added, "I especially rely on all of you to assist them. Go and be of service in any way they need. Not you," Jake stopped Neteyam, grabbing him by the shoulder as he tried to escape the wrath of his parents. "You, young man, have some serious explaining to do!"

As Naveah was about to join the group of Volcanic people being led by the Omatikaya to their new settlements, she lastly glanced at Neteyam, who offered her a quick, nervous smile as he confronted his furious parents. She smiled back and even chuckled a little, finding the brave young man cornered with danger once again. This time, she knew it was no place for her to save him, and so she followed the crowd.