Chapter six

For many years, Naveah had dedicated herself to mastering multiple disciplines, hoping to prove her clan wrong about their prejudgments towards her and show them the true value she could bring. Her father had been her greatest supporter, guiding her in the ways of warriors. In those moments, he had found fulfillment and joy, as he had only one other daughter, Tewah, who had no interest in such disciplines. Guided by her father's tutelage, Naveah became an excellent hunter, a rare skill among the volcano people. However, chances to demonstrate her prowess were limited, as their home environment offered an abundance of fruits, vegetables, and nuts, making hunting more of an occasional pursuit.

But Naveah's efforts did not end there. She delved into the world of medicinal herbs, learning to heal and tend to the well-being of her fellow clan members. She also embraced the tradition of weaving, skillfully creating intricate patterns that held cultural significance. Despite her dedication, she felt a gnawing sense of unfulfillment, as her accomplishments seemed to pale in comparison to her sister's.

Tewah, her beloved sister, was adored by the clan, not only for her beauty but for her mesmerizing voice and graceful dance. The Volcano people celebrated Tewah's talents, and her breathtaking duets with Raxtan enchanted all who heard them. They were destined to become future leaders, a mated pair guiding the clan forward. Naveah admired her sister, training with her for hours to keep up, often pushing her voice to its limits. But she knew deep down that she could never match Tewah's brilliance. Tewah's effortless grace and her normal skin color allowed her to escape the harsh words of the clan.

However, the disaster had changed everything. With resolute determination, Naveah walked towards the heart of the camp, seeking a fresh start among the Omatikaya. She hoped that here, in this new environment, she could find opportunities to showcase her acquired talents and skills. She headed to the place where she earlier saw Neteyam, hoping, that he could direct her somewhere, where she could be of use. However, she was dissapointed when she discovered, he was no longer there.

"Hi there again," a familiar voice sounded from behind Naveah. It was Lo'ak, passing by Naveah, carrying a big wooden crate filled with weapons.

"Hello. Lo'ak, do you know where I could find your brother?"

"Sure. He left a while ago. He's training our young warriors," he said, slowly walking with the crate towards the section with modules. Naveah followed him as he continued, "He won't be returning until sunset, I suppose."

"Oh, I see."

"Why do you want to know?" Lo'ak asked curiously, a playful smirk dancing on his face, recalling Neteyam's theatrics before leaving.

"Well, I hoped he could help me find something useful to do here. But now that he's not here, maybe you could direct me somewhere where I can be of use."

A loud thud echoed as Lo'ak dropped the heavy crate, raising clouds of dust into the air as it hit the ground. "Well, of course, there's plenty to do around the camp. Let's see... Are you familiar with human weapons?"

"I've faced off against the Sky people several times... but no, not really," she added at last, looking downward. Lo'ak almost caught a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"That's alright too," said Lo'ak cheerfully. "Someone should teach you how to use one of these," he said, grabbing a machine gun from the crate and mimicking aiming and shooting at an imaginary foe. He did so with a wide smile, and Naveah noticed he was not concealing the fact that he was showing off. "That way, you'd also learn what to expect when you encounter their soldiers."

The idea intrigued her, indeed, such knowledge would be exceptionally useful. "Sure, but maybe some other time. I'd rather help with something in the camp than learn new things at the moment."