15: The Moon City

Despite its unfortunate infestation of monsters, Monrya was exceptionally beautiful. Dawn had to admit, with great reluctance, that it was the greatest town she ever had the pleasure of viewing. Pearly white buildings gleamed in the sunlight, and the Venturer did not have to wonder how the town had received its nickname.

"I cannot see your expression with your hood masking you, but I take it from your silence that you are impressed?" The Commander asked as they approached the front gates, still a decent enough of a distance away to not be overheard by the citizens should anyone be listening.

"I've seen worse." Dawn huffed, fiddling with her ridiculous disguise. She felt as though she were wearing a giant sign, indicating that she was not who she was pretending to be. For the past three days, she had worked to develop a persona, one she could hide behind should she need to speak. The Commander had even helped her with it, correcting her speech patterns and mannerisms to make it as convincing as possible.

Syrena snorted, seeing her answer for what it was; a begrudging acceptance. "With those ruins you scavenge in? I don't doubt it."

As they grew closer and the town began to surround them, a deep sense of unease settled within the Venturer, seemingly burrowing into the very depths of her bones. Nonetheless, she still marvelled at the impressive buildings around her, ignoring the fact that she couldn't shake the sense of being watched by them. This town was much smaller than the kingdom, or any city ruins that she had dared venture to. Despite this, Monrya was still impressively accommodating and would even feel welcoming should she belong there. Shop fronts and facilities were open, monsters of varying appearances smiling as they went in and out of them; Alani was right, they were all exceptionally dressed. Apartments, cottages, houses, and manors, all made from gleaming white stone, stretched as far as the eye could see, and were plotted meticulously throughout the town. Overall, the Moon City was unlike anything Dawn had ever experienced before, and likely never to experience again.

The Venturer's body began tingling unpleasantly once they had properly passed the front gates, as though the cloak that covered her did nothing to hide who and what she was. She felt as though every monster bustling past her, going about their days, could see right through to her face. The gloves she wore that Alani had provided covered the only inch of skin that the cloak could not hide, and she was immensely grateful to the witch for having such impressive foresight.

"Where do we start?" Dawn asked, keeping her voice at a neutral volume than the harsh whisper she was tempted to use. Syrena had advised her that morning that speaking normally would draw less attention, as chatter became a blur to the monsters unless there was something amiss.

"I was rather hoping you had the answer to that question." The monster replied, scanning the streets as though she was looking for something particularly nasty to jump out and grab her. "I'm just the brawn, remember?"

"This is your town." The Venturer reminded, knowing that the Commander had vehemently denied this in the past.

As expected, Syrena denied it again. "It hasn't been my town since I left."

Dawn sighed, stealing glances at the monsters who passed her, unable to fathom that she was standing amongst them undetected. "Then I suppose we must ask someone."

"We cannot ask if they have seen that running around." Syrena made it clear that she was eluding to humans, choosing her words carefully should anyone be paying too close attention.

"No, but we can ask if they have seen anything out of the ordinary." Dawn watched as the Commander glanced around again, this time looking for a suitable candidate. "But who to ask?"

"We could try the mayor?"

Monsters had mayors? Dawn fought back her scoff of disbelief, needing to keep up her charade lest she be discovered as an imposter. "Would they be willing to help?"