36: The Vengeful

It wasn't difficult to plot the destruction of Garrett and Zaque as she had previously thought about this situation countless times, having come up with a new and different scenario each time the thought crossed her mind. Now, however, she had the power to act on them. If she was drugged and captured, then at least she tried. Maybe she was more like her mother than she had originally thought.

Rose, Freya, and Alani were forbidden topics within her mind. She would not allow herself to dwell on them, to be swayed by their betrayal. After everything she had given to who she thought were her sisters, after every memory she had made with them, she could not afford to be distracted from her new goal. She finally had a purpose again, something that fuelled her, and she would be damned if she let Garrett and Zaque's torment slip through her fingers.

She had made a mental list of everything she needed to execute her revenge: oil, rope, and matches was all she needed. Shoving the now broken jewellery box into the satchel, along with her list of requests and a pen, she swung the strap over her shoulder and marched to the window. This room did not have a balcony, but it was close enough to the ground that if she jumped, she wouldn't sustain any injuries. Well, she thought as she looked down, not majorly. Besides, she had jumped and fallen from trees of greater height.

It took a lot of concentration to not shatter the window frame as she slid it open, still unused to her newfound strength. Regardless, she managed with nothing but a few cracks in the glass to show for her efforts. Standing upon the ledge, she did not hesitate before jumping into open air, wind whistling past her ears as she dropped to the ground.

Landing nimbly on her feet, Dawn suppressed her smirk as she pulled up the hood of the cloak that she had acquired from Syrena on their little outing. It wouldn't do to be spotted before she could enact her revenge, especially since that was the one thing that gave her motive.

While the cloak did not mask her face, not one Monstra looked in her direction as she took to the streets of Zyire, effortlessly blending into the crowd with her tailored clothing and determined strut. Besides, they likely would not recognise her as the human girl that had carried their Commander through the front gates; she had changed much since then.

As she walked, she noticed that her eyes would glow despite the night that surrounded her, as though she possessed two small suns within her face. While she was still unnerved by her new appearance, she couldn't deny the fact that she was looking forward to using it to unnerve her prey too.

As she sauntered down the main street, she noted that the entrance gate had closed for the day seeing as the sun had set despite it being late afternoon, and Dawn tutted in annoyance. Naturally, it would not be easy to escape. In her experience, it never was.

Leaning against the wall of the alleyway, she listened closely to the Protectors on the wall. Perhaps being a monster was useful, after all.

"We have a delivery coming in within the hour."

"From where?"

"The South, it should be fabrics."

"The South." The Protector spat, obviously holding great dislike for that region. Perhaps there was history there; had the dictator Queen of the South done something to upset the Eastern Territories? "The sooner they're gone, the better."

Perfect, within the hour she would be sure to be waiting. Grinning to herself, Dawn kicked off against the wall and re-joined the busy streets, wondering how to fill her time. Many of the shop fronts were welcoming under the cover of nightfall, the insides illuminated against the darkness. The street-lamps also kept the night at bay, spreading its warm glow for all citizens to enjoy.