Caged Animals (Edited)

"Not all animals belong in cages."

----------

You woke up. Your head ached, it felt like your body had been dunked into the deepest pits of the ocean, only being pulled out when on the brink of losing your last ounces of breath. You were exhausted, but why? What happened? You looked around your surroundings, it was dark. So, incredibly, dark.

"Hanako? Nene?" You called slowly, your voice was raspy as if someone had tried to strangle you, maybe someone had. You looked around, even though you knew it would be useless. It was too dark to make out anything. Was there anything in the first place? Was it just an empty, black space?

Your mind was foggy, like there was a cloud of mist in your mind, blocking everything. Every memory, every moment, every thought. What was this?

"Ngh. . ." You heard a soft groan, its origins not far in front. You gasped, quickly scooting back, and eventually made harsh contact with something tall and sturdy, it stopped you from moving back any further, you assumed it was a wall of some sort. You heard breathing, it was staggered, not in pace. They sounded to be in distress.

Some of that fog started to clear from your mind. It allowed your eyes to start adjusting to the darkness. To your right, it looked something like a door, boxes lining the sides of it, and to the left, another wall, more boxes and equipment. But in front of you, a person lie, starting to shift around.

"Who are you?" You asked fearfully. The person groaned again.

"M/n?" The person eventually said, the male eventually said, sounding disoriented and tired. You recognized that voice.

"Hanako!" You said, a smile overcoming your fearful features, your voice rasped again from the sudden loudness. It hurt.

You started to crawl towards him, scared if you stood you would collapse immediately. Something brushed against your hand as you moved towards him, you swiped your hand away from it, holding onto the hand that brushed it as if it had been burned severely. You looked down at it, it didn't move. Your eyes were adjusting further and further to the room, and you quickly realized that the thing your hand touched was Hanako's hat. So, you gently grabbed it and continued moving towards the School Wonder.

Once reaching him, you handed the hat over but he didn't take it, still recovering from waking up. So, you gingerly placed the accessory atop his head, adjusting it so it wasn't lopsided. Hanako responded with a gentle nod and a 'thank you.'

"Are. . .Are you alright?" You asked slowly, cautiously, letting your vocal chords adjust for once. Hanako chuckled lightly, it didn't sound good, like he was in pain and trying to suppress it, failing miserably.

"Considering what happened last night, yeah, I'm just peachy," He responded sluggishly.

"Last night? Isn't it still night?" You asked, looking all around, no signs of light seeped into the room, just blankness.

"Well, she locked us in here, it's morning, but this place doesn't let in any light, unfortunately," Hanako answered disappointingly.

"Do you know where we are?" You questioned.

"My best guess would be some kind of shed," He answered while rubbing the side of his head, wincing a small bit as he did. "I vaguely remember, but I think a shed is where she dragged us to."

More fog started to clear. A sudden pain developed in your chest, it was faint but still there, enough for you to notice it. Things started coming back to you. You and Hanako were on a walk with Sumire, and Sumire attacked the both of you. You assumed she dragged the both of you here after she was done. Why didn't she kill you and Hanako when she had the chance though? You didn't want to think about it too much, right now you had to get out of here.