𝓝𝓲𝓷𝓮

Song of the Chapter: where do we go now?- Gracie Abrams

NIGHT OF THE MURDER...

Zander stood in silence in the poorly-lit corner. His eyes darted around the room, looking for Scarlett. It shouldn't be taking her so long to return with some drinks. Not only was he growing concerned, but he realised that he would need to use the bathroom pretty soon. It was uncomfortably awkward standing by himself in the middle of a busy party, but there he was, loathing every single second of it. If only he cared for Scarlett less, then he wouldn't be in such a position.

Scarlett had gotten into a serious argument with Pierce the night before and Winter had told her she wasn't feeling too good, leaving Scarlett with no one to attend the party with her. Zander knew Winter was probably lying, but he wouldn't dare tell that to Scarlett's face. Instead, he offered to go with her. That way she wouldn't be alone and he would get to spend some time with her. However, he was starting to regret his decision.

He was starting to think she had gotten lost, though he knew just how unlikely that was. Collin's house was very well known by pretty much every student at Harborough High. It was their unofficial hangout/party spot. Something was always happening at his house, especially on Friday nights just like this one.

Just as Zander was giving up hope that Scarlett would return, her silhouette appeared from around a corner. She smiled at him, holding up her arms with a drink in each hand. He reached over to take the one on the right. "You okay?" He asked. She held back a laugh. "I'm fine it's just a little difficult trying to navigate a sea of assholes when your hands are full." He nodded.

Zander glanced towards the stairs. "I'm going to the bathroom. Be right back," He handed her his cup and headed across the room.

He heard the familiar creak of the stairs under his step, despite the blaring music. It provided a strange sense of comfort. He was taken back to his elementary days when a young Collin held birthday parties and various hangouts and get-togethers. Life was so much simpler then. He remembered the day of Collin's sixth birthday party, when he met Scarlett. It was love at first sight in his five-year-old mind. She was perfect: sweet, funny, and incredibly charming. Her wavy hair reached her waist. Her soft smile lit up the room as she filled the space with laughter and birthday wishes.

He was almost too shy to approach her. He hid in the corner while all the other kids played tag and ran around the house and yard, yelling their little heads off. She had noticed him and decided that no kid should ever feel left out. It was thanks to her that he didn't go home early, tears streaming down his face.

She took his hand and led him outside. From that day forward, Zander never hid in the corner or went home early sobbing. She was always there for him when he needed her and he promised both her and himself that he would do everything in his power to make her happy. Even if it meant letting her date the most disgusting human alive: Pierce fucking Ogden.