Chapter 7

Sometime later after the expedition had made camp at the edge of the bridge, Snickers was finished cooking something.
"Dinnertime!!" He shouted
"I've provided something special!"
He picked up his pot and headed towards where Chloe, Mackenzie, Pretzel, Pom Pom, and Winton had made a campfire. They held out trays as Snickers began putting some disgusting looking food on their trays. As he did so, he proudly announced,
"For dinner, you guys get baked beans, garden salad, hot dogs, and carrots!"
Pom Pom looked at her tray with disgust and said,
"This looks awful!"
Winton, eyeing on her tray, then said,
"Hey! I wanted the hot dogs!"
"Here, you have it" replied Pom Pom as she handed her tray to him, exciting him in the process. Meanwhile with Jean-Luc, he was off in his own corner, studying the Sheepdog's Journal as usual until Snickers approached him.
"Hey, Jean-Luc! You look skinny, have some of this!" he said, as he put food on Jean-Luc's tray.
"Um...it looks...filling?" replied Jean-Luc, trying his best to not hurt Snickers' feelings. Unfortunately, this led to Snickers putting lots of more food on the tray.
"Like it? Have some extras! A lab like you could REALLY use food like this!"

As everyone (reluctantly), ate their dinner, Chloe took a look at Jean-Luc and began to feel bad for him. She said,
"Hey, we've been kinda mean to him. Should we invite Jean-Luc here?"
"We have been, haven't we...?" replied Pom Pom.
She then called out to the young Labrador,
"Jean-Luc! Come sit with us!"
Surprised to hear this, Jean-Luc replied,
"Really?  You mean it?"
"Sure!  Room for one more!
Feeling excited, Jean-Luc began making his way towards the campfire.
"W-wow!  I-it feels great to be invited to your-"
But before he could finish his sentence, Winton snuck a whoopie cushion on the Labrador's seat and when Jean-Luc sat on it, he felt extremely embarrassed.  As Winton rolled on the floor laughing out loud from his prank, Chloe, Pom Pom,  Mackenzie, and Pretzel shouted,
"Winton!!"
"Sorry, I couldn't help it!" replied Winton as he got up and recomposed himself.

     Jean-Luc continued to read the Sheepdog's journal and that's when Pom Pom noticed that he still had it.
"Hey Jean-Luc?  When will you put down that book?" she asked.
Chloe joined in with,
"Yeah!  You've probably read that thing so much that you can memorize it by now!"
Jean-Luc, looking confused, answered Pom Pom and Chloe's questions with,
"Here's the thing...this makes no sense.  So, in this passage, the sheep dog talks about something leading to something called the Heart of Atlantis.  It could be the power source, but when I turn to the next page, he talks about something else completely.  Almost like a page is missing..."
Mackenzie decided to take the young Labrador's mind off of the journal by saying,
"Relax, Jean-Luc!  We aren't getting paid overtime, you know"
"Yeah yeah, I know" replied Jean-Luc, figuring that Mackenzie was right.
He then decided to express his passion for the journey to the group by saying,
"I tend to go overboard with this stuff, but that's what this expedition is about, right?  Adventure, discovery, teamwork, all that?  Unless...you're in it for the money?
One by one, everyone in the group voiced their reason for being part of the expedition.
"Money" said Pom Pom.
"Money" said Pretzel.
"Er, money" sheepishly admitted Chloe.
"The money" excitedly said Winton.
"I'll just say...money" stated Mackenzie.
Jean-Luc nervously chuckled to himself and said,
"I walked right into that one, didn't I...?"

     Just then, he got a few neck pains and he put his paw on his neck.  Chloe took notice quickly and walked up to him.
"Your neck alright?" she asked.
"Yeah, I must've turned it too fast"
"Here, try this"
The young Dalmatian grabbed the black Labrador's neck and she began to do a technique to help it get better.  Jean-Luc was caught off guard by this because he didn't expect Chloe to be so fast about it.  Once she was done, she asked him,
"Better?"
He felt his neck and to his surprise, it was better!
"Actually...yeah!  Where'd you learn THAT one?" he asked.
Chloe replied with,
"Well, I've always loved playing Doctor when I was a little kid and my parents really encouraged me to do so"
"Really now?"
"Yup!  I also wanted to be able to help my little brother whenever he needed me"
"Aww, how sweet!"
"But then, halfway through medical school, I get drafted.  One minute I'm studying different medicines, the next minute, I'm healing fellow explorers"
Suddenly, Snickers came by the campfire with more of his disgusting food and asked everyone,
"Hi guys!  Want the second course?"
Not wanting to hurt the dachshund's feelings, they pretended to be full.  Snickers shrugged his shoulders and walked away while saying,
"Oh well!  It'll always be there when you're hungry!"
When he was gone, the dogs sneakily dumped their food into the fire.  Pretzel commented,
"Glad I'm not as picky as other dogs"

     Later in the evening, everyone was setting up their tents.  Mackenzie noticed that Jean-Luc was having some struggles setting up his tent, so he walked up to him and asked,
"You SURE you know how to set up a tent?"
"Isn't it already up?" replied Jean-Luc, trying to look confident.
But wanting to be quick about it, Mackenzie said,
"Let me"
and he helped Jean-Luc set up his tent properly.
Jean-Luc got comfortable in his tent as he said,
"I'm sorry, I haven't been camping in a LONG time, my grandpa only took me a few times"
Pom Pom was getting settled into her tent as she asked the Labrador,
"I never got the chance to meet your grandpa, what's he like?"
"Oh, there's a LOT to talk about-he was like a dad to me...both my parents didn't make it far, so when they were gone, he took me in..."
He then thought about his grandpa and giggled a little.
"What's so funny?" asked Pom Pom, whose tail was beginning to wag.
"It's just that, one time when I was six, I found a creek and I saw what looked like to be a bilby in the distance.  Based on my grandpa's reaction, you'd think I discovered another species.  But when I got older and moved from Quebec to Australia, I realized that bilbies are actually quite common around Australia"
Winton, who was walking to his tent holding a plush toy, overheard what Jean-Luc said and replied with,
"Oh, glad you decided to come to Australia!"
Jean-Luc then asked Pom Pom,
"Oh, Pom Pom?  No offense, but how did a small Pomeranian like you become a chief engineer?"
Pom Pom happily responded with,
"You know how they say Pomeranians are a small but hardy breed?  Well, I took this job to help my parents after they retired.  Funny thing, I'm even smaller than they expected, but I'm as hardy as I can ever be!"
"Woah...!  Are your parents feeling ok?"
"Oh yeah, they're both great!  Anyways, I've been saving up to get my parents a new home"
Pretzel, looking tired, passes by Jean-Luc holding a dog bed.
"Did you forget a tent?" asked Jean-Luc.
"Nah, this IS my bed" replied Pretzel as he walked away.
Chloe suddenly tossed earplugs to Jean-Luc and says,
"You might want to put these in, he sometimes barks in his sleep and he's LOUD"
He quickly put his earplugs in after hearing that.

     Mackenzie, who already had his earplugs in, joined in the conversation with,
"For me, I just like blowing things up"
Chloe walked over to him and takes his earplugs out while saying,
"Come on Mackenzie!  Tell him the truth!"
She put the earplugs back into Mackenzie's ears, who then confessed,
"Ok, ok, I'll confess.  I'm actually from New Zealand, not Australia.  My family and I moved to Australia because we thought it would be nice.  One time in primary school, I was playing with Jack and Rusty and we were playing Army together.  But suddenly, we heard a large 'Boom!' in the distance.  While everyone was startled by it, I thought it sounded cool.  So then I decided to become a pyrotechnic"
Suddenly, everyone heard some digging and they spotted Winton digging himself a hole nearby his tent.  When it was done, he settled into it nicely.
"What's Winton's story?" naively asked Jean-Luc.
Chloe, wanting to spare Jean-Luc from the story, quickly replied with,
"Trust me when I say, 'you don't want to know'.  Pom Pom, don't tell him.  You told me when you shouldn't have, and now I'm warning you.  You don't want to know"
She then blows out a candle and everyone went to sleep, anticipating entering Atlantis' gateway first thing in the morning.