chapter iv: back together

Sierra quickly rummaged through her backpack looking for an unused needle and anesthetic safe for the kid, while Hershel explained to the Grimes what they were about to do and why they were doing it now. The couple tried to disagree, suggesting other options – like Rick draining himself from blood until they arrived with the respirator, which was absolutely insane considering how awful the man already looked. But the old man was running out of arguments to convince them, and his daughter was too busy getting everything ready to help him. So the blonde woman had no option but to intervene.

"Okay, listen" she approached them taking off her mask, their eyes widening as soon as they recognized her "Those two that left to get the respirator? Might as well consider them dead"

Both of them looked at her like she was some kind of ghost, not believing entirely that she was really there – until Rick wrapped his arms around her. It was not a reunion hug. There was not an ounce of happiness nor relief in that hug, only despair and plea.

"How bad is it?" he whispered way too tired to even cry at this point.

"If we wait any longer..." she did not even dare to say what would happen, too scared that it would be real if she said the words.

Rick pulled away from his pre-apocalypse friend, trusting her judgment way more than the veterinarian's, and whispered: "Do it"

She sent him a reassuring nod, silently thanking him for trusting her as well as promising to save the kid. The Grimes left the room, as Hershel instructed, although Rick was told to stay close in case they needed some more blood for his son.

The old man and the blonde woman talked about how the surgery would go. Discussing important details, like how big the incision would be, while Patricia, who had switched places with Maggie, got the anesthetic ready. They decided to just numb the kid's abdomen, as leaving him unconscious without a respirator would put his life at risk.

Everything was ready.

Sierra disinfected the kid's shoulder.

Patricia held the syringe up with the anesthesia, emptying out of all the air it had. And she was about to penetrate his skin when Maggie burst into the room.

Respirator in hand.

An hour and a half later, there were no bullet fragments left in the kid's abdomen and, after what felt like forever, the worried parents could walk inside the room again. They were too overwhelmed to properly thank Hershel, Sierra or Patricia, but seeing their relief was enough – at least for the family's old friend. Hershel also seemed content, pleased with his work after saving a life.

Patricia, on the other hand... She was looking at Maggie, who was standing outside the room with her lips pressed together. And she shook her head.

Otis did not make it.

The now widow had to run out of the room. Her hand covering her mouth, muffling the small sobs that dared to escape. Sierra was ready to go after her. Give that poor woman a shoulder to cry on, even if they were not the best of friends. But Maggie subtly rose her hand, telling her that she got that covered – to which Sierra nodded.

So the blonde woman decided to thank the other person, the one from Rick's group that Hershel said went with Otis. She was ready to treat any wounds that they could have, as it would have been unlikely that they came out of that place unharmed (specially if their partner died). She was also mentally preparing herself to meet this stranger, as well as thinking of some kind of speech in which she would thank them and offer them whatever they needed.

But her mind went blank when she saw who it was.

Standing on the porch was a man that she knew very well. Tall, dark haired, brown eyes, stubble... Shane was right there. In front of her. Alive and breathing.