Chapter 1: Before I Knew About Demons

Warning: Descriptions of blood and murder, abuse.

                                                                     🌺

(Y/n) blinked away her tears after her father threw an empty glass of green tea on her which she'd woken up to make at 5 AM.

"What on earth is this? How are you going to find a future husband if you can't even make a proper cup of tea?" (Y/n)'s father said.
(Y/n) was bowing on the tatami mat and apologized. "Sorry, father. I'll try better next time."

"Dear god. We should've accepted the offer when my former boss's son asked for your hand in marriage. I can't believe I said no to that due to my hatred for him."
(Y/n)'s dad looked annoyed as he looked at the bowed figure before him.
"What a nuisance. Your mother should've been alive to handle someone as worthless as you. (Y/n), go do something useful. I'm going to check up on your brother in the hospital. He's still in a coma. I won't be back for 3 days."
"Got it, father..."
"What a pain. I can't believe those delinquents decided to attack our home that day."

(Y/n) had been living like this for 6 months, after her mom had died. Her mother was the only one who defended (Y/n), since if she ever spoke up, her dad would punish her. She had lost count of the nights she had been locked in the basement filled with rats and insects simply because she stood up for herself or failed to comply with her dad's or brother's demands. Other times, she wasn't allowed to have food and water if she stood up for herself. She wasn't the kind to not stand up for herself, but her dad and brother had (Y/n) terrified of them. Her mother wasn't treated much kindly in the household either, but she had more of an influence if she ever spoke up for something.

"I can't take this anymore. I'm going to the place mom gave me the address to. She did tell me that this place was safe to go..."

Flashback...
(Y/n) started hyperventilating as she saw the floating, lifeless body surrounded by a pool of blood in the lake she and her mother always visited. She dropped the grocery bag on the ground. The body looked like... her mother.

She had just returned after 20 minutes from the market after buying some groceries while her mother said she'd cook the dinner, only to come back home to a lifeless body. Her brother was holding a bloodied knife beside her mother's floating body.

The girl was conveniently standing next to a gun on the ground. A loaded one, which was probably used to shoot her mother.

Without a second thought, (Y/n) held the gun and pulled the trigger at her brother.
Just then, she felt a sharp stab in her stomach.

🌺

Edited: 23rd January, 2024