Chapter 3: The Kamado Siblings

"I am your trainer. As the title suggests, my job is to train swordsmen. There are plenty of trainers out there. In their respective regions, they train swordsmen in their own respective ways. In order to join the corps, one must take part in the Final Selection which is held at the Fujikasane Mountain. Whether you'll join the final selection or not, that is up to me," Urokodaki had told (Y/n) the day she had started training.

It had been 6 months since (Y/n) had passed as Urokodaki's student. Each day, she woke up at dawn and practiced till sunset, sometimes till even later, even if Urokodaki had told her to stop. She had started getting much better at avoiding and dodging the traps, but there were still a couple of ones she was always unable to detect. (Y/n) had pretty much also gotten used to the thin mountain air.

(Y/n) was running around the forest and practicing as usual till after sunset, when she heard Urokodaki's voice.
"(Y/n). I told you to stop practicing and come eat. It's after sunset."
(Y/n) gave the older man a weak smile. "I'm alright. I'll finish training in just five mi-", she said, as she started coughing violently due to the over-exhaustion.

Urokodaki frowned. He had been getting increasingly worried for (Y/n) as she hadn't been getting enough rest because she was training too much.
"That's it. You're coming inside the house. I told you to train, but not till the point where you almost collapsed.
"But-"
"Come inside the house. The food's getting cold."

(Y/n) didn't argue as she knew she was pushing herself too much. She followed Urokodaki back to the hut.

"I have to go now to get another student with his sister. After eating your food, go and get some rest. I'll be back in some time."
(Y/n) nodded her head.
"Also, his sister has been turned into a demon. Don't let that scare you."
"Oh, okay... WAIT, WHAT!?!" she exclaimed once she realized what Urokodaki had said, but the man was already gone.
"How can Urokodaki-san trust a demon so much? Well, since he trusts her, she probably isn't like other demons..." (Y/n) yawned.
"I should probably get some rest..."

8 hours later...
"Urokodaki-san is late. I wonder when he'll be back. I even made food for him and the new student..."
Just then, the door opened.

Urokodaki and the newcomer had come back. (Y/n) looked at the newcomer. He had warm red eyes and black-to-red hair and was wearing a checkered green and black haori. (Y/n) smiled at the newcomer, who in turn looked at her in awe.

"She looks like an angel!"
"I'm (Y/n) (L/n). Nice to meet you. I guess we'll be training together from now on!" (Y/n) gave him an excited smile.
"H-hi... I'm Tanjiro Kamado. Nice to meet you too. I'm happy to know we'll be living together n-"

"Not yet.", the older man interrupted him. "You need to pass the test first."
"What test?"
"Follow me."

(Y/n) felt bad for the newcomer, knowing what was in store for him.
"Uh... come back safe," (Y/n) grimaced, hoping Tanjiro wouldn't come back too injured.
"Now come. (Y/n), I'll leave Nezuko-san in your care while I'm gone," Urokodaki told (Y/n).
"Nezuko-san? You mean Tanjiro's demon sister? Where is she?"

Tanjiro put down the basket in front of (Y/n) and took out a sleeping Nezuko from it.
"Oh my god... she's so cuteee!" she gushed.
Tanjiro smiled at (Y/n).

"Thank you for taking care of Nezuko, (Y/n)-san."
"Oh, it's nothing. I'll put her in a futon. You guys hurry up and get back soon, I made food for you and Urokodaki-san."

"S-she made food for me??? An angel like her?? Oh my god, I'll have to come back as soon as I can from this test!!!" Tanjiro thought excitedly.
"Come on, Tanjiro," Urokodaki told Tanjiro the third time, a bit annoyed.

Two hours later...
It had been quite some time and Tanjiro hadn't come back yet. (Y/n) felt worried for him, hoping he hadn't gotten too injured in the traps.
A few minutes later, she saw the door open. A bloody and bruised Tanjiro was kneeling near the door.
"I'm... back..."

(Y/n) rushed towards Tanjiro.
"Are you alright?? Come inside, and I'll check your wounds. I made food for you."
"Y-yeah... Thanks," Tanjiro mumbled, blushing.
"Her touch is so gentle!"

"Congratulations, Tanjiro. You're my new student. You and (Y/n) will be training partners now."