Chapter 30

Word Count: 3013

Averie's POV

"Are you excited for your trip?" Dr. Stanley asked as he entered the room.  I hate the doctor but Daddy said I had to get a check-up if I wanted to go on our summer trip.

"Yeah," I replied politely.

"A whole week in the States, that's exciting. Do you know what you're going to do while you're there?" Dr. Stanley asks.

"I wanna meet Taylor's kitty cats," I tell him excitedly.

"Wow that is exciting, are they your favorite animal?"

"No, they are my next favorite," I shake my head.

"Well, what's your favorite?"

"I don't know," I shrug, "I like piggies though," I tell him.

"Did you know pigs are really smart animals?"

"Yeah." Do people not know that? Have they never seen Peppa the Pig? Both adults chuckle but I don't get it.

"Alright, let's get you started so you can get ready for your trip. How is four treating you so far?"

"Great, I had lots of cake," I tell him, making Daddy laugh at me. Taylor made me a birthday cake because Daddy said baking was too hard for him. It was really good! Taylor also left the Friday after my birthday which was kind of sad. I still feel confused about her song but that doesn't mean I don't miss her. She's really nice to me and usually gives me what I want.

"That's good to hear, can you kick your feet up here so we can make sure you're growing right?"

Dr. Stanley measured my legs because they didn't know if one would be shorter than the other. Grandpa said it's like my legs would be mismatched. Luckily they aren't but they measure me every time I come here. He listened to my heartbeat and tested my reflexes. He looked in my ears and my eyes.

My Daddy told him about my asthma attacks so they decided to up my medicine. I don't know what that means exactly but I guess that's okay. I don't really get to choose but I don't like it when I can't breathe.

At the end of the visit, Dr. Stanley said I needed booster shots and a blood draw. I don't want booster shots. I glare at him as soon as he tells us. I don't like them.

Dr. Stanley sneaks out to get whatever he needs while Daddy gets me ready to get the shots. I'm getting one in each leg which means I probably won't be able to walk forever. How am I gonna get on the airplane later this week?

I cried a lot and Daddy had to help hold me still because I was too strong for Dr. Stanley and all the nurses. Luckily they let Daddy hold me when it was time to get my blood drawn. I don't like that weird rubber band that they tie. I find it dumb and unnecessary. I can't wait for Taylor to get here. She's flying in tonight. It's going to be so much fun. I hope she sleeps in my bed this time. Daddy can sleep in his and we'll have a girls' sleepover. It'll be just like when Taylor, Grandma, and I had a girls' dinner.

"Ta-da!" Dr. Stanley cheered after the nurse pulled the needle out of my arm. I didn't like that. I don't think I like that lady anymore. She kept poking me and helping Dr. Stanley do the same. I buried my face in Daddy's neck as he talked to the doctor about getting my medicine. I was very glad to leave that place, especially because then I could have Daisy back. Daddy didn't want me to bring both Piglet and Daisy so I had to choose. I didn't like that because I didn't want Daisy to feel left out but I had to.

———

"Nugget, do you wanna come to the airport with me today? We'll pick up Taylor," he explains.