Painkillers And Grief

Hank Voight

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Addie was sleeping in my arms when the door opened and Antonio walked in, the noise of the door slamming, causing Addie to jolt awake.

"Hey it's ok Addie, you're safe", I said gently.

"Let go", Addie whispered. All traces of anger were gone right now and she just seemed to be exhausted and in pain.

"I'll take the cuffs off but you do anything to try to hurt yourself or fight me, they go back on, understand?", I asked, keeping my voice firm and steady.

Addie just lightly nodded and winced at the pain.

I unlocked her cuffs and said to Antonio, "Call an ambulance, she's got severe bruising on her face, her nose is still bleeding, and she needs stitches".

Antonio nodded, taking out his phone to do what I said when Addie screamed, "No, no ambulance, no hospital. No, I'm not going to a hospital".

"Addie, listen, you're going to a hospital and getting checked out by a doctor, even if I have to cuff you so you'll co operate. You have severe bruising on your face and your nose still hasn't stopped bleeding. The only choice you get is whether you're going to co operate or not and regardless of your choice, the outcome will be the same", I explained calmly.

"No. No ambulance. Please no ambulance", Addie cried, her voice becoming more frantic and it seemed that she was more averse to going in the ambulance rather than the hospital.

I had to compromise with her or it'd just make the situation more difficult. "OK no ambulance but you're still coming to med with me in my car, OK? No arguments, no fighting or I'll call an ambulance", I compromised reluctantly.

Addie just nodded her agreement, wincing again at the pain the movement caused her.

"Can you take Greg back to the district? I'll take Addie to med and stay with her", I asked Antonio who walked off after saying yes.

Addie was half awake, staying still in my arms.

"Come on let's get you to med and then you can get some rest", I said as I half carried Addie to my car.

I opened the car door with one hands as the other supported Addie and placed her in the front passenger seat, doing up her seatbelt.

I closed the car door and then walked over to the drivers side, opening the door and doing up my seatbelt when i noticed Addie was asleep already, her head resting on the car window and the light of the moon glowing up her face, revealing the bruising and swelling on her face, making anger run through me. Greg would get what he deserved, I would make sure of it

I let Addie sleep as I drove the car to Chicago med where Jay's brother, Will Halstead, worked.

I pulled up at the car park of Chicago med and tried to wake Addie up.

"Addie, wake up kiddo, we're here. After you've gotten checked out, you can go home and rest", I said lightly shaking her.

Addie jolted awake, looking around in panic and fear. Yeah the next few hours would be rough for her. The adrenaline would start to crash, leaving her feeling shaky and exhausted.

"Hey it's fine, you're safe", I murmured quietly.

Addie looked around, her body stiffening when she realised we're at the hospital.

"Look, this isn't even necessary ok? I don't need a doctor. This will all heal in a few days and everything will be fine, just drop me back off at my house", Addie commanded.