Home Sweet Home

Hank Voight

"Being both soft and strong is a combination very few have mastered"

Addie finally fell asleep, still holding my hand. I gently removed her hand from mine and brushed a lock of hair that had fallen on her face to the side.

With one last look at Addie, I left the exam room, gently closing the door and went to the front desk to get the paperwork done.

My phone started ringing and I pulled it out of my back pocket and saw the caller ID. Antonio Dawson.

I picked up and answered, "Dawson, have you got the bastard booked yet?".

"Yeah he is charged with several charges of child abuse and assault. I reckon he'll get about 3 or 4 years in prison. How's the girl?", Antonio asked.

"She's got a concussion, some stitches and severe bruising but no internal injuries. I'm taking her home with me", I explained.

"For the night or like Erin?", Antonio asked.

"Like Erin", I explained.

"What's her name?", Antonio asked.

"Adeline Rae Carson but she prefers Addie. She's 14 years old", I answered.

"She into drugs like Erin?", Antonio asked.

"No, she refused to even take the painkillers at the start, afraid she would get addicted to them. Her mom OD'd after her sister killed herself and her dad was never a part of her life. She's had a rough life but she's a good kid, Antonio", I explained.

"I get it Voight. You need anything let me or the team know. I look forward to meeting her", Antonio replied.

After saying thanks and a goodbye, I hung up, finding Erin in my recent calls and calling her.

"Hey Hank, what's up?", Erin asked getting straight to the point.

I explained the situation with Addie to her and asked if Erin would like to come over for breakfast tomorrow to meet Addie. I hoped Addie would feel more comfortable with Erin there tomorrow. I also asked Erin if she could stay with Addie for a while tomorrow so I could pick up some of Addie's stuff from Greg's house.

Erin agreed to everything and said she was looking forward to breakfast tomorrow before hanging up.

I walked over to the front desk and started looking through the discharge papers and care information.

I signed all the papers after reading them thoroughly and started scanning through the care information which said how it was essential to eat before taking the painkillers and to get plenty of rest and fluids.

After taking the care information and getting an OK from Dr Halstead to discharge Addie, I headed back to Addie's room and found her still sleeping.

"Addie, wake up kiddo. It's time to go home now", I said gently, stroking her knuckles again.

Addie opened one bruised eye, immediately closing her eyes again when the bright lights of the exam room hit her, affecting her concussion.

I walked over and turned the lights off, prompting Addie to open both her eyes and get accustomed to the dimness.

"Are you sure you're okay with me staying with you?", Addie asked, a look of uncertainty in her blue eyes that I hated.

"Of course Addie. You're part of my family now and I won't abandon you no matter what", I said making eye contact with her so she knew I was serious.

"Come on kiddo, let's get you home and then you can sleep", I said.

Addie carefully got out of the bed and took my outstretched arm, letting me help her.