Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

Ch. 1

Time stood still for me. While the world struggled and dealt with androids destroying their cities in hordes, I watched from afar. I wanted to be there, to help, to pick up a pistol and fire at our attackers, but I wasn't ready. My mind was up for the fight, but my body and its enhancements were far from it.

So, for months, as the world crumbled, my body healed, my mind grew, and I gathered my army. Not every android wanted to be on Daniel's side. And not every person saw this fight as disastrous or pointless. Either we fought and regained balance in our world, or we gave up and died. Who wanted that?

I stared up at my old house. Surrounded by the dust from my dead front yard, I squinted as my computer chip scanned the property. No movement. Empty. Tonguing my cheek, I nodded and stepped up the front step. "Can't get the upper hand on this shit without you gramps," I whispered as my hand settled on the front door.

Unlocked. I squinted, suspicious, but turned the knob and opened it. My grandfather's notes were the only reason why I came back. I couldn't master my father's data without the old man; William Garret Sr. created the base for all androids. For me. To gain the upper hand, I needed the red box I wasn't allowed to touch as a kid.

I passed my hand over the dusty couch, crossed the living room, and stepped into the kitchen. I played back my memories as if they were movies. Victoria had been the last one to touch it. "She found it, right?" I whispered. I touched the stove, grazing my fingers on the scratches on the side of the counter, left from my rebellious teenage years. "Vicki thought I'd hurt myself with them."

Stopping in front of the back door connecting to the old garage, I switched my vision, focusing my computer's power in my left eye. My grandfather was just as old-fashioned as my dad, meaning everything would be written on paper. But as I looked through the walls, past the dormant electrical wires, I hoped to find an untouched motherboard, old computer chips, or even scattered chords. The old man was old-fashioned, yes, but he was as unorganized as I was. Living like trash fires ran in the family.

My gaze passed right and I caught a glow in the far back of the garage. I smirked. Were they discarded android parts? Forgotten tools? Shit, it could've been something I forgot to clean up last time I was here. But I wouldn't know unless I checked. I turned, pushing the door open with my shoulder. "All right, let's—"

"Movement detected on the second floor." Fuck. Gritting my teeth, I let the door shut as I turned to look back into the house. My computer continued to scan my surroundings. "500A Series. Second bedroom, far right."

I puffed out a ball of air. This wasn't how I wanted to spend my morning. The plan was simple—show up at my old house, dig around, possibly find components, or better, a notebook with my grandfather's notes. Bumping into an android wasn't a part of it.

Rolling my shoulders back, I hopped twice and shook my hands. "It's fine, Elijah. Just an android, just like you—" I hurried through the kitchen and sharply turned for the stairs. "Like Victoria and Reggie—" I held my breath as I started upstairs, two steps at a time. "And who knows, maybe they'll join your team."

I stopped at the top stop. The android's location pinged from my father's room. Coincidence? Probably. Probably not. As soon as the servers went down, Katherine never bothered to start them up again. This meant androids were free to roam and choose. This also meant Daniel was on a hunt for information, just like I was. Great minds thought alike, huh?

Passing my tongue over my bottom lip, I turned toward the open door. Footsteps echoed. Smaller items crashed. Still scanning my surroundings, I saw them ping as they bounced off the floor. I held my breath as I pressed myself against the wall beside the opening. "Found you," I said.