Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Ch. 13

"Frank!" The moment the bullet plowed into Frank's shoulder, panic surged through me. His blood puddled under his shirt before spilling out from under his sleeve. His fingers tensed. Then his knees buckled. My arm shot out to catch him before he fell.

"Frank," I whispered, concerned, letting my fingertips dig into his body. My computer scanned him, quickly identifying the severity of the wound. The bullets passed through a bundle of necessary nerves. He'd live but would he be able to use his arm? Emotion swelled in me as I held him tighter. "Frank."

The woman dropped her gun. Her trembling hand pointed at us. Her eyes narrowed, accusingly, judgmental—all negative. "That bullet wasn't for him!" she shouted. "It was for you!"

Oh, so she admitted it. My fingers tingled as I carefully lifted Frank, balancing his body on both of my arms. With him against my chest, I stood strong and focused on the cruel woman, but Frank's voice pulled my attention. I looked down at his face and found his gaze. Though wincing in the face, tears puddling in his eyes, he found the strength to smile. "Are you—you okay?" he whispered.

My eyes widened. Even like this, bleeding against me, I was still his concern. I wasn't the one who got hurt. No one laid a finger on me, and yet, Frank still checked on me.

Emotion swelled in my chest as I hiked him higher against me. As a tear slid down his cheek, I turned and faced Reggie. He knew immediately to take Frank from me. As the larger android slipped under Frank's legs and neck, I let the transfer happen. My hands slid away from him, passing over his arm and his bloody sleeve. I stopped when I reached his hand and instead of completely giving him to Reggie, I stayed. Our fingers linked. We gazed at each other for a moment longer.

"Elijah," he whispered.

Leaning forward, I pressed my forehead against his. His heat pushed into me and I took it. It meant he was alive, he was okay, and all of this shouldn't have happened. Closing my eyes, I shook my head but didn't break out contact. "This city may be crumbling," I whispered, repeating words similar to what he'd said to me earlier, "but I will protect you everything I have."

"What about the world?" Frank asked, concerned about others still.

But the shouts didn't stop. I heard the woman, still unapologetic, still ruthless and unfair. My eyes snapped open and I saw their glow reflect in Frank's. "Fuck the world."

"Elijah." Concerned, Victoria came closer. I turned away. With the way I felt, I didn't need the calming look in her eyes or the conscience-like voice she always provided. I needed this rage.

Daniel and my father were right. Humans were a waste of space. We no longer evolved, we plateaued. We reached a point within our evolution where we decided we were unstoppable, superior, and untouchable in the universe. The androids were reminding us of our place. Sick twist if you think about it; we created them.

"Don't," Victoria said quietly.

I looked at her as she outstretched her hand. Her waves of energy, her electronic attempt to get me to stop, passed over me, but I shook my head. "No," I said to her, then looked at Reggie as I pointed up at Lyons. "Get Frank inside. The nerves in his arm are damaged. Do everything possible to help him." I looked back at Victoria. "Everything."

Reggie didn't wait. Carefully holding Frank in his arms, he pushed off the asphalt and hurried into the building. Victoria lingered, keeping our stare as the rain continued to fall. I waited until I knew Reggie was out of the lobby area, then looked at the still-shouting crowd. My fingers burned as I balled them.

"Go to Frank," I hissed to her.

"But—"

"Go!" I barked as I stared at the crowd. Those in the back lowered their signs to their feet. Three others backed away, fear etched all over their faces. I rolled my head around my shoulders and two ran away.