[35]

“How is she doing?”

Aunt Marie stood in the center of the carriage. She was guilty. Guilty she couldn’t do anything to help.

Aunt Marie shook her head as she sighed. You ran out of the carriage while it was still moving, and she asked Kurai if he could go look for you.

“I’m not sure…”

Toshihiro looked worried as he started tapping his foot. It was something he did when he was anxious.

"..."

“Sorry…”

This small apology caught Marie’s attention as she looked at Toshihiro in surprise.

“It’s not your fault, I-”

“But I was supposed to make sure she didn’t run into any difficulty during her escape. If I knew that she would grow attached to that fugitive, then I would've....”

Toshihiro stopped tapping his foot as he stared at the ground.

...What could he have done?

Akuto clearly wasn’t a stable person in the first place, so how would he have stopped you both from meeting in the first place? It was all so sudden. It was almost as if this boy just poofed into existence.

He never even heard of a fugitive that was on the loose, so who was he?

He couldn’t bring himself to look at Aunt Marie at the moment. Especially since he promised that he would protect you, but it seems his role has been taken.

But now that Akuto is gone, then maybe….

No.

You were long gone and so was your sanity.

“It’s not fair…”

You sat on the cold grass, sobbing in agony.

It was now around noon. You have been sitting in the same spot in the forest, unable to move. Everyone was probably looking for you about now.

“..It’s not fair…not fair…”

Those were the words you repeated for hours, hoping no one would hear them.

Right now, it felt like you were being swallowed by your emotions. Everything was so overwhelming. It’s disturbing to think about all the things that happened in a span of one night.

You thought about how you acted just a few days before.

You were stupid.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

You had too much confidence and were blinded by your stupidity.

You stared at the small pond that was right in front of you and looked at your reflection.

You looked horrible. You were drained and exhaused.

Staring at your reflection in the water, you wondered what you were going to do from here.

You escaped.

But now what..?

You never really thought about what you were going to do with your life. All you thought about was becoming queen, but you didn’t think about what would happen if you didn’t.

A small part of you wanted you to think you had a lot of time, but you really didn’t. Everything was so sudden..

You put a finger in the water and got goosebumps from the coldness.