IV. A Game of Fools

"We should at least wait until the Grand Princess is well enough to travel. You've left her here for two months, Emory, for God's sake. With no servants!"

"Who would have thought she didn't bring any?" He pinched the bridge of his nose. "She needs to go."

Henry sighed. "At least pretend some compassion. Settle this gracefully, like a bloody king."

"I've dealt with far worse negotiations than this."

His cousin regarded him doubtfully. "You've negotiated with murderers, people of power, and heartless lovers. You don't know how to deal with a princess—and I know because you avoid the likes of them. So, please, forgive me if I say you don't know a thing about these types of women. Remember that we're dealing with the Grand Princess of Gavaria. They're not as powerful, but they have powerful allies. We don't want them angry over how we treated their bloody princess."

He sighed and leaned back in his seat. "She's just one of the dozen other children Winchester sired. Don't talk like everyone bows before her."

"Well, that's the point. They do!"

Emory rolled his eyes to the right. "They could be spies."

His cousin blinked at him in disbelief. "Spies?"

"Don't you find it curious? Someone out of nowhere suddenly comes to Sutherland claiming to be my dead brother's betrothed."

"Your betrothed now," his cousin corrected. "They have the papers, we checked them, and they are authentic."

"But is she?" he challenged. "I don't see a line of servants outside the door. Do you? Her cousin, a bloody princess is running about my estate with a chicken she's intending to murder!"

"Then go," Henry said, waving at the door. "Throw them out into the snow."

"Don't provoke me. I might just do so."

Henry shook his head. "We'll send word to Gavaria if you wish and verify the matter."

"We should have done so months ago." He motioned his head toward one guard. "Send one guard to Blackwood. Tell him I want this matter verified by the Black Clover."

"And while we wait?"

He looked his cousin in the eye. "I want them gone from this place."

Henry sighed. "Very well. Where shall we throw them to, Your Majesty? Have you another estate in mind?"

They stared at each other for a while. Emory knew he was the only one thinking, his mind racing in all directions for the best solution, while Henry was probably just enjoying the display of frustration.

"A hospital. She's sick, isn't she?"

"Genius plan, cousin. Bravo." Henry sardonically said, hand at the door. "Let's try persuasion first—entice them to Coulway. A luxurious villa with a full staff. No live chickens they need to kill for dinner. But we'll have to do it gently." When Emory didn't answer, Henry prodded, "Emory."

He let out a curt nod, eyebrows fused in a line.

Henry stared at him for a while before eventually shaking his head. "Daniel Stanton my arse." He pushed the door open and stopped Emory when he moved. "You're not a king here. Remember your own bloody lie."

"I don't have to be a king to deal with royals," he retorted, brushing his cousin's hand off. He jumped off the carriage and fixed his coat. With a mocking smile, he added, "In fact, I'm ready to join one of them for tea!"

***

"I should look presentable," Florence said as she dipped her hands into the washbasin and ran her palms over her hair to tame the stubborn tresses.