XII. Then Came the Storm

The butler led him to the back of the manor, on a deck facing the ocean. He traveled with two guards, all of them on horseback. The journey was long, nearly a day. The snow made their descent challenging, but as soon as they reached level ground, everything was easier. The coastal town was blessed with warmer temperature.

"I thought you are in hiding?"

Emory tore his eyes off the distant waves and turned his head.

Simon St. Vincent was obviously surprised to see him. The man's Winfield estate near the heart of Herst was certainly not the best place to hide from enemies. This was his first time, but Emory had heard about the tragedy that happened in Winfield during the Belcourt Conflict, and the innocent lives they lost one fateful night.

Friends and foes alike knew who owned the place, and there were already rumors, although not strong, of the powerful people the St. Vincents were associated with.

"I won't stay long," he said. "Why? Are there activities in the area?"

"None that I know of, but we're constantly checking everyone who comes in and out of the island." The man let out a grunt of pain as he sat beside Emory. "I was going to see you in three days, but since you're here, it's more convenient. The cold is killing all moving parts of my body." They waited as his breathing became even. "Did something happen?"

"I want you to send word to Coulway."

"Is this about the princess?"

He nodded, face impassive. "Tell the Clover to have men at the ready and meet the princess when she docks."

St. Vincent blinked at him. "She's coming to Coulway?"

"No. She's coming home."

St. Vincent fell silent as he looked at him. "You're finally getting rid of her."

"There's no use having her around if my intentions remain the same."

"We might have a problem."

"If you mean the ship from Gavaria, tell Blackwood they don't have to wait for it. Tell him to have one of my ships ready for sail."

"No, that's not it. I was going to see you in three days," the man said. "To deliver news." Emory waited for his next words. "Steffan Winchester, Crown Prince of Gavaria is on his way to Sutherland."

Emory's brows dipped into a frown. "For what?"

St. Vincent shrugged. "His letter did not say. The Clover is more concerned about security, of course. They suggest that we stop his ship for inspection before granting entry."

He nodded. "Of course."

"Then perhaps we can postpone the princess' journey out of Sutherland? Maybe she can go home with her brother."

He thought about it for a while. "I don't care how she gets home. I'll send her down from Birchfield in two days. Henry will travel with them."

"Are you certain about this?"

His jaw tightened. Nodding, he added, "Also, I'll need a room for tonight."

***

She woke up with a terrible headache. Rolling flat on her back, she spread her arms wide on the bed, brows fused in concentration. Last night, she remembered crying, but she didn't know why or how it came to be. Then she had a faint picture in her head of Emory getting up and leaving her outside in the snow and never came back.

Did she say something wrong again?

Or mayhap, just like two months ago, he forgot about her again.

"You were too foxed," Lucy said from the window. "You fell in my bed crying."