AA V0 Prolog, Chapter 6

2/15/2048 (military calendar)

CIA-operated Spaceship, Lunar-Mars Trajectory

*****

While Captain Mathew Ryder leaned into his chair while he read a military history book, he opened one of the food-based smoothies and drank it. As he swallowed, the captain's senses went on the fritz as they were overwhelmed by the fruity taste, feeling disgusted. "You know, I am never going to drink these again. I am so sick of them."

Warrant Officer One Rommel King laughed. "I never thought I would miss MREs. If these were the last food on Earth, I'd shoot myself."

Ryder chuckled as he understood the sentiment. "Speaking of Earth, what do you plan on doing once we return?"

Sergeant First Class Gregory Barrett leaned forward. "Probably go to the pool bar and hustle some privates for money. Then a five-star meal."

"Don't you think that is too easy to fish?" King asked.

"Maybe," Barrett replied. "I don't need the money; I just enjoy seeing that look in their eyes that an old timer like me whipped their asses."

"I will drink to that," King stated. "What about you, sir, after this pleasure cruise?"

"I know what he is doing," Wallace interrupted. "Going to the club to get some senoritas."

Barrett leaned around his chair to face his subordinate. "Knock it off, Wallace, or you will spend the rest of the trip outside."

"I wouldn't mind working on my tan," Wallace replied as he flexed his arms.

"You can try, my friend, but you will never be as good-looking as me," Barrios replied as he looked at his tablet.

"Man, those two can be a handful," Barrett said.

"But when he is right, he is right," King said. "Matt, you do need to move on."

The Captain of Comanche, out of everyone on the team, shook his head with a grin. Staff Sergeants Eger Wallace and Bruno Barrios acted like brothers, closer to Twins than brothers. It was customary to see them competing for dominance, but they always had each other back in a sticky situation. To Wallace's point, though, he knew that the bulky Sergeant was correct. He had to work on his life. While he loved his career, there had to be more.

As the captain looked for the right words to convey what was on his mind, his eyes were drawn to the ceiling lights flickering. They suddenly turned off, and for a moment, the room was pitched black before a red glow from the emergency lights switched on.

"Comanche." Ryder didn't have to say more as his team started to mobilize, getting into their combat space suits.

Mathew Ryder unbuckled his seatbelt and pushed himself toward his space suit. Once dressed, he then floated to the ship intercom. He could feel the starship shake as he floated, making him wonder if they hit something. "Ryder to Bridge."

Hearing nothing, this started to concern the young captain. It seemed what Commander Nelson was worried about was coming to fruition.

"Rommel," Ryder said. "I cannot get through to the Bridge. Once Comanche regrouped, I want you to prepare a team and investigate."

"I wouldn't bother," Barrios said.

Hearing Bruno Barrios calling for him, the captain saw the Sergeant staring out into the void by the window.