𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

a warning before this chapter, there is a mention of someone getting sexually assaulted in the past and one of the characters describes it a little so please proceed with caution if it triggers you. you'll know when it's brought up so if you're sensitive, please just skip those lines. it's also non-canon and just what i filled in for the story, it's really not too important.

—A Win and a Loss—

In the Academy cafeteria, Persephone only stared at the food on her tray without lifting a finger. She knew most, if not all of the tributes would slaughter for the meal she had before her, but something about the way District children were starving whilst she was granted with a full meal and more everyday killed her appetite.

"Are you not gonna eat?" Coriolanus asked her as he took a bite from one half of his sandwich. He hadn't exactly cared if she was hungry or not, but he only observed the blank stare she had been giving her food.

The Ignis girl shrugged. "This all seems too... I'm not sure." Persephone shook her head and frowned. What was she trying to say? Would Coryo, of all people, understand the way she was feeling? If even Dean Highbottom, creator of the Games, disapproved of them, what did that make of the rest of the Capitol?

Sejanus would understand.

"Don't tell me Sejanus has gotten into your head about sympathy for the Districts."

And her bubble of awareness fizzled away. "No, he hasn't. I was just thinking that..." Persephone furrowed her brows, "nevermind. It doesn't matter."

That we should stop a bloody, brutal battle with no specific purpose.

But Persephone Ignis refused to be a radical.

She adjusted her posture and straightened her back, missing the way Coryo shivered at the missed opportunity to see the arch in her back under the Academy uniform. He could see the most during their supposed graduation, but he desired more. Possibly even without clothes, watching her bare back arch out of habit—or perhaps pleasure-

Coriolanus scolded himself for his impure thoughts, his human instincts that took over his mind whenever he saw the girl.

Just as she picked up her fork and stabbed a piece of chicken on her plate, Persephone paused. "How am I supposed to make Reaper trust me, Coryo?" She leaned forward, eyes wide with worry. "He must have been starving when he refused that sandwich. He didn't take it because it came from me. How will he trust me to shape him into a spectacle?"

"Easy." He hid the urge to scream in frustration with her constant pushing about performing and not surviving, but ultimately kept his rage quiet. Besides, he felt as if he needed to pay her back for the idea to greet their tributes at the train. "Reaper's got nobody else higher above that can give him the things he needs. Like food, water, help. Show him how much he needs you, that you're his only hope to survive."