16 | Tri-State Area Girls

Oof this one took forever to write!  Please vote if you can :))

Chapter 16: Tri-state area girls

I stared at Luke Dawson, leaning against my car with his arms folded over his broad chest and his cap tilted low over his ocean blue eyes. Waiting for me.

So, I turned the other way.

Lara can wait. I'm sure she'll understand.

I hurried away as fast as my knobbly legs would take me, without looking like I was outright running. My bag jiggled against my back, and I wish I hadn't packed my water bottle on the edge because it kept banging against me.

"Millie!"

I fiddled with the straps and the backpack basically collapsed down to my bum, so I yanked them up again, until they were squeezing my shoulders. I hope Luke wasn't watching me. It was hard to move against the crowd, when they were all trying to get out of school and I was going back in.

I'm not ready to talk to him. I can't talk to him. One look at his dreamy eyes and perfect pout and I'll lose all my resolve. He knows that.

I dove into the girl's bathroom and breathed a huge sigh of relief to be out of the crowd and away from-

The doors flung open again and Luke stepped into the girl's bathroom.

"Millie, please. We need to talk."

It took me a good thirty seconds to react. I just stared at him. He was in the girl's bathroom. He was no longer at my car. Why didn't I just get into my car and push him off it?

Luke sighed and slid his hand into his pocket, waiting patiently for my delayed reaction. He looked so tired...

No Millie, stop it. Don't fall for him.

"We don't need to talk," I disagreed, "In fact, we don't need to do anything, except you who needs to leave the girl's bathroom."

He stepped towards me, and I stepped back. This was not the direction out of the bathroom.

"I know you want space, but can you just hear-"

"I'm still processing this, Luke!"

"Take thirty f*cking years to process if you need to, but do it with full inf-"

"I have pages and pages of information and I haven't had time to read it all yet, but it's on my to-do list!" I huffed, feeling the straps of my backpack dig into my shoulders. I tried to shimmy out of them, "I'm not exactly looking forward to reading the love texts my boyfriend has sent to every girl in the tri-state area."

We were standing face to face, my hand gripping tightly against the sink as I kept taking steps back, not feeling quite steady against him. When we were this close, I wanted nothing more than to be enveloped in his strong arms. I could see the emotion in his bright eyes, how extra messy his dark hair was today and the perfect shape of his lips as he tried to convince me to listen to him.

He saw my hesitation and his eyes glanced down to my lips. I knew what he was thinking.

And, suddenly, we heard the sound of a toilet flush.

I guess someone was here with us.

We both turned to look at the closed bathroom stall. After a few, long seconds, the stall door unlocked and opened. I hope it's not Bianca.

Anyone but Bianca.

"Whoa, hey guys," a girl in pigtails stepped out, surprised to see the two of us staring at her, "Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt."