19 | Good Bedside Manner

Thank you to @pyl.zz_.1822 for the romantic poster!!  

Please vote :)

Chapter 19: Good Bedside Manner

*Luke's POV*

Dr Banerjee's name was embossed on a metallic nameplate outside his door. I walked into his office and found the Doctor standing behind his desk, facing the window with a manila file open in his hand. I stretched back and knocked on the door.

"There's no point knocking if you've already come in, Luke," Dr Banerjee said, his back still facing me.

I smiled. I think he likes me.

The Doctor's office felt worlds apart from the sterile environment I was used to at other hospitals. He had a flowerpot on his desk, a view of the clinic's garden outside and a couch area with some coffee table books about athletes.

"Your mom called asking me to stay late for our appointment because you had practice," Dr Banerjee informed me, "Does mommy always bail you out?"

I looked at him, unamused. Does he really think those lines will bait me?

I sat on the couch and not in the patient chair opposite his desk, "Today's not the day, Dr B."

He approached his desk and dropped my file onto it with a resounding thud, "Do you know why I went through nine years of medical school, Luke?"

Old people love the patronizing, small talk.

"Because you failed a bunch of times. Isn't medical school four years?"

What the f*ck was he doing there for eight years?

He gave me a look, "I meant my residency."

I checked the time on my phone, "I was starting to think I needed a new doctor."

Dr Banerjee inhaled and started again, "I went through those years so I could have doctor in front of my name and be treated with some respect. You don't respect my time, Luke. Now what do you want to do with the remaining time we have here?" he asked, pointing at the chair in front of his desk, "You can sit here."

I rested my arm over the back of the couch and looked over at the chair he was pointing to. Nah.

I liked feeling the sunlight here – it was warm.

"I don't know, Doctor. Aren't you meant to help people?"

Dr Banerjee lowered his hand from pointing to the chair, realizing I wasn't moving, "No, Luke. My job is to help people who want to be helped. You make it very-"

"Difficult, I've heard that a couple times today already," I said sourly.

"Well welcome to your journey of self-discovery," Dr Banerjee said, abandoning his attempts to get me to sit and act professionally. He joined me on the couch, "I've always said that physical therapy is more of a mental game. You're going to need a good headspace which, judging from the look of you, will be tough today."

"Can I comment on your looks too or is it a one-way-"

He raised his hand, "I'm gonna let that slide because you look like sh*t."

"Can you swear, Doctor?"

"It's not good bedside manner but you bring out the worst in me."

"We don't need to get anywhere near a bedside together."

Dr Banerjee broke character out of his professional vibes and smiled.

He leaned back in the couch, adjusting his blazer, "I like your spirit, Luke. That's why I deal with all your crap, otherwise, I'd have referred you to another doctor a long time ago. And that's why it pains me that you don't take your health seriously."