Chapter 85: Spring Outing

Before, he said to his colleagues at the research institute to come to his house for dinner, but due to various reasons, it didn't happen.

This time, for Cen Zhengnian's birthday, Chu Xia discussed with him, "On your birthday, how about inviting your better colleagues from the research institute to come and help you celebrate?"

"On your birthday, how about inviting your better colleagues from the research institute to celebrate with you?"

Cen Zhengnian was taking off the scarf around his neck and said, "I don't need to celebrate my birthday like this. Just eating an egg on that day is enough."

He didn't care about these rituals, and besides, the one busy on his birthday was Chu Xia; he didn't want her to be too tired.

Chu Xia turned to look at Cen Huai'an, "An'an, do you want to celebrate Dad's birthday?"

"Yes!" Cen Huai'an nodded immediately, and after thinking for a moment, he said, "But Mom, I only want to celebrate with you."

In fact, Chu Xia also wanted this, but she always had to find an excuse to invite everyone to a meal.

"When An'an and I moved here, your teacher helped, and when there were things to do, your colleagues also helped. We should invite them to a meal."

Cen Zhengnian looked at Chu Xia and nodded, "Then let's set the time for this Sunday, I can come back to help."

"Okay."

***

On this Sunday, Chu Xia started to get busy after having breakfast in the morning.

The dishes were all pre-discussed by Chu Xia and Cen Zhengnian, and he took the opportunity to buy them during lunchtime.

Cen Zhengnian still couldn't pick vegetables as always, but in winter, there weren't many fresh greens. However, when it came to potatoes and cabbage, they were just big or small, with nothing rotten. Cen Zhengnian knew what to look for in those.

Cen Zhengnian took a day off today and joined Cen Huai'an in the kitchen to assist Chu Xia.

However, the kitchen was small, and soon Chu Xia asked Cen Huai'an to go out and play on his own.

She had already called Grandpa Jiang and told him that An'an wouldn't go to his house to learn chess today, but he needed to self-study at home.

In the kitchen, only Chu Xia and Cen Zhengnian remained. Chu Xia directed, and Cen Zhengnian followed each instruction.

"You peel the potatoes."

"Cut the beef into chunks."

"Wash this piece of pork."

Because they were hosting guests, they had to prepare several main dishes. Both Chu Xia and Cen Zhengnian were busy, with no idle hands.

He was either sitting on a small stool peeling potatoes or cutting meat on the cutting board. Otherwise, he was washing Chinese cabbage in front of the sink.

Meanwhile, Chu Xia stayed by the stove, cooking.

Because there were many dishes to make, they even borrowed Yan Heming's coal-burning stove.

Both of them felt that Cen Zhengnian had worked hard. In his heart, he was glad he took a day off and came back. Otherwise, with Chu Xia alone, he didn't know how tired she would be.

After a busy morning, finally, all the dishes were ready. At this moment, the colleagues from the research institute that Cen Zhengnian invited also arrived.