2- all fun and games

parker 

parker 

present; narrative 

The first month of school was usually my least favorite. The girls couldn't start practicing till October so for a month or so I was just going to class instead of following them to practice like I usually would. But this time I was more than grateful for that month, hoping it would've lasted longer so I didn't have to see Hailey's dumb blue eyes everyday. She was good, I hate to admit it. When the first practice came she made it very known she was a good player, and she deserved her spot here which I still debated.

They had been practicing for a little over a week now and I had been at almost every single one, except for the one happening right now. I had just finished my late class and was on the way home when I remembered they had practice 2 hours ago. I immediately changed directions hoping I could at least catch the end of the practice or see my girls for a bit before they started asking for rides.

I got out of my car and walked in. The parking lot was mostly empty but I could at least check since Kim never minded, she even tried to get me to learn last year so I could actually play. Let's just say Angel left with a black eye.

When I walked in all I saw was that platinum blonde hair that had been torturing me since the day she got here. Her hair was in a messy ponytail instead of the braids she had during games, not that I stalked or anything. She was facing away from me and I didn't see anyone else there. Hailey was just shooting around, her airpods being in I'm assuming. I went to turn around quickly and walk out, hoping she didn't see me.

"Parky where are you going?" I could hear the smirk on her face. She enjoyed bothering me because I was so easy to get a rise out of. My eyes rolled and I debated just ignoring her and continuing to walk out.

"What do you want, Van Lith?" I finally turned to face her with my arms crossed over my chest. Now that she was facing me I could see her better, her face was a light pink like she had been here for a while just by herself.

"Well since you seem to be stalking me why don't you come shoot around, everyone else left." Her tone was different from the one at the dinner. I could tell she was still trying to tease but something seemed gentler.

"I came here to see everyone but you." I shrugged, the hard look remaining on my face. She laughed, holding the basketball firmly between her hands.

"Come on, you came all this way. Maybe you'll learn to like me." She gave me a challenging look, she knew that if I left it's because I was intimidated by her and there was no way I was letting the new girl have that effect on me.

I walked onto the court, tying my hair up and Hailey gave me a bright smile.

"Ok you get to ask the question, if I miss I have to answer it but if I get it in, it's your turn." She explained the 'simple' rules of the game, good thing I'm a horrible shooter.

She stood at the free throw line, preparing for my question.

"Why LSU?" I repeated my question from the dinner, she laughed under her breath, shooting and it swished in perfectly. This is fantastic. She passed the ball to me as we switched spots.

"What'd you have for breakfast?" She asked, that same shit eating grin on her face. I took my shot, it bounced off the backboard and came right back to me.

"Didn't have breakfast." It was a weird question but she probably decided to go easy on me since I didn't actually play.

"Why not?"

"Is that really your second question?" I looked at her confused, if she wanted to play this dumb game she could at least ask good questions.

"What's your major?" She kept going with the stupid questions. I didn't know whether to be happy or annoyed.

I took my shot and missed yet again, seriously this is rigged.

"Business and Marketing." After I replied I turned to her again, she was just nodding trying to think of another question.

"You have a boyfriend?" This time she didn't have a smirk on her face when she asked the question. I get that I straight passed a lot but I was very gay, lesbian since I was maybe 11 years old.

I didn't even try making the shot very well so when I missed I wasn't shocked, turning back to her.

"I'm gay." She bit down on her lip at my response but still said nothing.

"Favorite on the team?" Again with her stupid questions. I was annoyed now, firstly with my lack of basketball skills but also by being this close to her and answering these questions that were beyond irrelevant.

"Ok what's up with the dumb questions?" I finally snapped, she gave me a confused look but bit back the smirk fighting its way onto her lips.

"Their normal questions, Parky, don't get all mad." She tried to joke around but I wasn't budging. I could be at home right now instead of playing her stupid games.

"Don't play dumb." My answers were short and her smirk finally dropped.

"Fine, you want some real questions?" I nodded, waiting to see what else could come out of this girl's mouth. "Who'd you sleep with on the team to get you this close?"

We just stared at each other, me trying to stop myself from strangling her right there and her just waiting for my response. I should've never asked for 'better' questions.

"Fuck you." I spit back at her, dropping the ball at my feet and walking away.

"Aw, where's my answer Parky, I don't judge." She laughed to herself but I kept walking. Seriously, how could anyone handle having this person around. I flipped her off, continuing to walk away until I got out of the arena.

I heard her scoff behind me but I didn't care walking to my car to scream into the steering wheel which seemed to be a normal occurrence whenever I spoke to the blonde devil. God I hated her smug little smirk and how her eyes seemed to glisten when she knew she pissed me off.