Right thing to do

Liela's Pov

    We all sat around the dinning table eating dinner. I looked at Gabriel who sat opposite me. He wasn't eating, he was just watching me instead. I blinked and looked away from him.

We both had agreed that I would tell everyone I already knew. I was scared, I wondered what their reaction would be. I looked at everyone, they looked okay and happy.

Would things change if they found out that I already knew I wasn't related to them? They've been really good to me and I didn't want to make things awkward, but I also knew telling them was the right thing to do.

I couldn't let them continue trying to hide it while I knew already. Besides, I didn't want them to disagree with me and Gabriel being together.

I took a deep breath, deciding to tell them once they were done eating. I tried to continue eating as well even though I had no appetite.

    Mr Noah was the first to finish eating. He leaned backward resting his back against the chair's backrest.
" Gabriel, why aren't you eating?" He asked. My eyes returned to Gabriel who still wouldn't get his eyes off me.

Mrs Fidelia and Abel also looked at him.
" Liela has something to say to everyone" Gabriel said. I dropped my gaze, but I saw Mrs Fidelia's eyes turn to me, she looked worried
" My dear, is everything alright?" She asked.

I slowly raised my head . They had almost finished their food, so it wasn't that bad if I spoke now, besides Gabriel was impatient. I couldn't look at anyone.

" Do you want something?" Mr Noah asked and I quickly shook my head indicating a ' No' . I looked at Gabriel again and he gave me an encouraging nod. I dropped my eyes to the table.

" I....I.. I wanted to say that... I.. i want to let you know that..." I paused.
" Relax dear, don't be scared, take your time" Mrs Fidelia spoke softly as she rubbed my back soothingly. I felt like crying.

This woman was too nice to me. I tried to compose myself " I know I'm not related to you all" I quickly said. The silence afterward was loud. Not a single word or movement from anyone. Even Mrs Fidelia's hand on my back paused. I wanted to see their faces but was too scared to raise my face.

" I.. I'm not angry that it was hidden from me at all. I completely understand why and I truly appreciate all of your kindness towards me" I said. My voice breaking.

I slowly lifted my head. Mrs Fidelia looked at Gabriel and I quickly spoke before she'd blame Gabriel.

" I overheard everything the night you told Gabriel. I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your conversation, I promise. I just wanted to return Gabriel's Jacket that night, but couldn't find him in his room, so.. so... I went in search and I just happened to hear it" I explained as a tear threatened to drop down my cheek but I quickly wiped it off.

Abel cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention
" Mom, I've known this for quite a while, probably a week after Liela moved in. I was confused at why we didn't know we had a cousin all this while, and suddenly, she came to live with us. I heard you and dad's conversation about her" he paused and looked at Gabriel

" Gabriel seemed to be getting too close to Liela. I talked to him about it, but he'll only get angry and tell me to shut up. So I decided to act like I knew nothing" Abel added.

I could no longer hold back. Knowing that Abel knew I wasn't related to him but still treated me well made me feel so welcomed. Tears rolled down my cheeks and Mrs Fidelia held me closer putting my head on her shoulder

" It's okay. I'm so sorry we hid it from you" Mrs Fidelia said. The night was long.
  Mr Noah and Mrs Fidelia explained more about it to us. How everything happened in details. I felt relieved after understanding everything.

I didn't want to be sad about anything but finding out the man I've always believed to be my father all my life wasn't really my father. While my real father was an unknown heartless being, broke my heart.

But I'd look at the good part of it. My mother wasn't a prostitute or a home wrecker after all.

I decided I'll live well, forget the past because there's a lot ahead of me. Besides, I've got the most loving and supportive people by my side. Perhaps everything actually does happen for a reason.

                ෆ  THE END  ෆ