Chapter 3

Just a warning, this chapter is LONG which is part of why it took me so long to get it out, which I apologize for. Life got hectic, so even when the chapter was done being written, I had little time to do my editing. I hope you enjoy this long-awaited chapter!

][=][ Ryan Goldman's POV ][=][

"Ryan, you've gotta be more careful, bud," Dad said as he cleaned the scrapes on my knees. "This gravel will tear you up."

"I can't help that I slipped, Dad," I said as I rolled my eyes at him. "I can clean my own scrapes, you know."

"I know you can," he said as he ruffled my hair gently. "But that doesn't mean I don't want to help you. I am your father, after all. Don't grow up too fast on me."

We both chuckled as I rolled my eyes again, but I let him continue to clean the minor scrapes I'd received as a prize for winning the race Carl, Sophia, Eliza, and I had just done. Of course, my clumsy self slipped and slid on the gravel right after passing the finish line. The others were all sitting by one of the cars, waiting for me to come back and join them.

"Ok, kiddo, you're all set," Dad said as he closed the peroxide bottle and set it aside. "Please be more careful next time you're trying to be a gazelle."

"I will, Dad," I said, smiling at him and standing up. "I promise."

I rolled my eyes as he ruffled my hair again, then I went and rejoined my friends. Sophia and Eliza had gone to a table to draw, and Carl was playing in the dirt with a toy truck. I sat beside the Grimes boy and picked up another toy truck.

"Are your knees ok, Ry?" He asked as he tilted his head and looked at me with a smile on his face.

"Yeah, I'm ok," I answered. "Just forgot how clumsy I can be sometimes."

He nodded silently, and we started to play with the trucks, pretending we were working together to build a little town. Soon, Carl's mom walked past us toward the woods with a small red bucket in her hands.

"Carl, stay where Dale can see you," she instructed as she looked up at the man keeping watch from the top of the RV.

"You too, stay within shouting distance," the old man said as he looked between us and the mother. "If I hear anything, I'll come runnin'."

"Yes, Mom," the woman said sarcastically as she turned away and headed into the trees.

Carl frowned at the tree line where she had just disappeared.

"You worried about her?"

He nodded quietly in response, his frown deepening.

"She'll be ok. Dale is keeping an eye out, and there are plenty of people around who will be able to hear if anything happens and if she needs help."

"I hope so," he said as he glanced over at me, trying to hide how scared for his mom he really was. "Aren't you worried about your mom?"

"Yeah, I am, but I know Daryl will make sure that she stays safe... even if he is a jerk sometimes, I responded as I thought about my mom and the gruff hunter who had left yesterday afternoon in search of some fresh food.